2016 Policies, Rules and Regulations
New members: New members may register at the Fred Rust Ice Arena or online starting April 11, 2016.
Returning members: Renewal membership , with payment by check, can be made by mail to Outdoor Pool, University of Delaware, 547 S. College Ave., Newark, DE 19716, or online http://www.udel.edu/outdoorpool/membership.html starting April 11, 2016 or at the Fred Rust Ice Arena.
- ID Cards
Members will be admitted only with picture ID cards. Identification cards will be issued at UD's Student Services Building at 30 Lovett Ave. from 8:30am- 4:30pm, Mondays through Fridays. The ID office is closed 1-2pm for lunch. No one will be allowed to use the pool without a valid pool ID or as a guest with a member. If you cannot make these times please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and the ID office will make special arrangments for you. Individuals with the UD#1 card DO NOT need an additonal ID card for the pool, but will not be able to use the card at the pool until membership fees have been paid. There is a $5 replacement fee to issue a new card to a renewing member if there card is lost or damaged. There is no charge to update a child's ID if it has been a minimum of 4 years since the child's card was issued.
Note: The ID office will be open until 7 p.m. on the following nights:
- May 23, 2016
- May 24, 2016
- May 25, 2016
- June 1, 2016
- June 8, 2016
- June 15, 2016
- Guests must be accompanied by an adult member.
- Guests must be under the immediate supervision of the sponsoring member at all times.
- Guests may not remain within the pool complex without the sponsoring adult member.
- Guest fees are paid at the Outdoor Pool Entrance.
- Members under the age of 13 may NOT bring in a guest without an adult member present.
In order to use the tube slides, you must be a strong swimmer and able to pass the swim test. The basic swim test is designed to ensure that each member can swim a minimum of 70 feet, swim underwater, use proper breath-control techniques, and demonstrate self-confidence. Please see the lifeguard to administer the swim test.
The swim test is as follows:
- Jump in, resurface, tread water for 30 seconds.
- Go down and touch the bottom of the pool and resurface.
- Swim two widths of the slide area, using a strong stroke on the stomach (front).
Pool members and guests must have a valid UD visitors pass for parking which can be obtained at the Fred Rust Ice Aren Information Window. Parking for the pool is provided free in FRONT of the Fred Rust Ice Arena. Parking on the side of the Fred Rust Ice Arena during the week is reserved for UD Faculty/Staff. If you need special arrangments, call Parking Services at 831-1184.
- Monday-Friday 7am-5pm Visitors Pass is needed (guests need visitors pass as well)
- No pass is required after 5pm and on weekends
- All vehicles must be parked in a valid space
- Parking is not allowed in the grass, fire lanes or other spaces not designated as a parking area
- If you park in a meter area you must pay the meter fee as the meters are enforced 24/7
Pool Rules and Regulations (Repeated violation of these rules or conduct detrimental to others will result in the termination of membership).
- If the pool needs to close due to inclement weather, pool staff will receive weather updates from our text alert system. Everyone must clear the pool deck and grass picnic area. The pool will ONLY repoen once we receive an all-clear alert. If the closing happens within the last 90 minutes of the day's normal closing time, the pool will be closed for the remainder of the day.
- The University of Delaware is committed to providing and maintaining a healthy and safe environment for students, employees, guests and visitors. Research findings show that use of tobacco products in general constitutes health hazards and that exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke causes significant health risks for nonsmokers. Smoking and tobacco use in all University of Delaware facilities, property, venues and athletic facilities is prohibited effective Aug. 1, 2014. Smoking and the use of tobacco products, as well as e-cigarettes are NOT permitted anywhere on UD property, which includes the pool facility and surrounding areas.
- Following is the state of Delaware regulation govering bather health at public pools. “Any person with evidence of an open sore, a bandaged wound or diarrhea shall be prohibited from entering the pool water. Any person suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs shall be prohibited from entering the pool.“
- No person is allowed in pool enclosure without showing proper membership I.D. and a lifeguard is on duty. Members must follow the following rules:
- Everyone must take a shower before entering the pool.
- Proper Swim Attire requirements are bathing suit. No thongs allowed.
- At no time will individuals wearing street clothes or infants in uncovered disposable or cloth diapers be permitted in the pool. No diaper disposal is permitted in the pool enclosure.
- Proper swimming attire also is required to enter the pool enclosure. Street clothes will not be permitted on the pool deck.
- Swim diapers are required for children who are not toilet trained. Regular disposable or cloth diapers are notpermitted in either the splash pool or themain pool. Swim diapers can be purchased at the pool.
- All personal injuries – no matter how slight or minor – must be reported immediately to the supervisor on duty
- No chewing gum or glass containers are allowed in the pool facility.
- Unnecessary conversation with pool staff is prohibited.
- Food and beverages are permitted in designated areas ONLY.
- No alcoholic beverages are permitted on the premises.
- No running, horseplay or unsafe behavior will be tolerated.
- Diving is not allowed. It is the individual’s responsibility to see his or her way clear before entering the water in any fashion.
- Only Coast Guard-approved (USCG Type I, II, III, IV) life jackets are permitted for non-swimmers. Outdoor pool does have a limited supply of coast guard approved vests for members to borrow.
- Use of masks, snorkels, fins, etc. must be approved by the pool manager on duty. All inflatables are only allowed in the SPLASH pool.
- Please adhere to the rules and regulations displayed inside the pool area.
- Children and young guests must have immediate supervision by an adult at all times while attending the pool. (See Guest Rules)
- Tube Slide Rules (Must be at least 48" tall to ride on the slides)
- Non-swimmers are not allowed to use the slides.
- Use of slides are restricted to persons that have passed the swim test.
- Wait at the bottom of steps until the person in front goes down the slide.
- Go down slide in sitting position ONLY, feet first.
- Do not go down the slide until the landing area is clear (swimmer is at the exit ladder)
- Exit pool Immediately to the ladder on the same side of the slide you just went down.
- One person on the slide at a time.
- Diving masks, goggles, snorkels and flippers not permitted.
- Do not sit on the end of the slide.
- Splash Pool Rules
- The splash pool is for young children up to 48 inches tall.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult or guardian and monitored at all times while usin gthe splash pool.
- Running is prohibited in the splash pool.
- All users of the pool slide must be in a sitting position feet first ONLY. No climbing is allowed. .
- Swim Diapers are required in the splash pool.
- Towels should not be draped over fence so that the staff has a clear unobstructed view of the splash pool.