University of Delaware

Office of the University Registrar

gpa calculator academic catalog
Upcoming Events

Transfer Credits for Current Students -
Attending U.S. Institutions


Currently enrolled students may take courses at other institutions for transfer when such study meets the University's transfer standards and the required prior approvals have been obtained prior to registration at the other institution. Not all institutions or courses are eligible for transfer. Students are responsible for ensuring that all aspects of their intended studies comply with UD standards. For questions, contact the Registrar’s Office at Additional information can be found in the Undergraduate Programs section of the Catalog.

  1. Only the students themselves may pursue the Transfer Credit Evaluation process; third-parties, parents, etc., may not pursue evaluation of coursework.
  2. There is a $75 processing fee per term for each institution from which courses were taken. Courses taken at one institution in two consecutive summer terms in the same summer only require one $75 fee. Students' accounts will be billed after the approved transfer credits are posted to their records.
  3. Required Grades: Courses must be taken for standard grading - not Pass/Fail - and completed with a grade of "C"  (2.0) or higher. Note that accepted transfer credits count toward the degree total, but grades are not included in the UD grade point average.
  4. UD course equivalency cannot be awarded to external courses with fewer credits than the UD equivalent.
  5. Official Transcript: Courses must be on the official transcript of the college/university that was approved for transfer. Transcripts issued by other entities (i.e., a 3rd party study program) are not accepted.
  6. Eligible Institutions: Degree-granting colleges/universities that are regionally accredited by their higher education commissions are approved for transfer when other related criteria are met. Approved U.S. institutions can be found in the Transfer Credit Matrix. Email to inquire about U.S. institutions not found in the Transfer Matrix.
  7. Study under Different Credit or Grading Systems: Not all credit or grading systems may be eligible for transfer. When accepted, courses taken under other credit systems are converted to semester hours at the time of posting. The University of Delaware maintains its own conversion policies, irrespective of suggestions offered by sending institutions or 3rd party program providers.


STEP 1:   Complete and sign the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form. If attending multiple institutions, use a separate form for each institution. If attending multiple terms, use a separate form for each term.

STEP 2:   Search the Transfer Matrix to see if the courses have previously been approved to transfer to UD. If the courses are listed, proceed to STEP 4. If the college is not listed or the courses are not listed, proceed to STEP 3.

STEP 3:   For courses not listed in the Transfer Matrix, you must request course approval and evaluation. The material you submit for evaluation must be the official description used by that institution and should be as detailed as possible to ensure accurate assessment. Email and/or attach the following information to the appropriate departmental contact:

  1. Name & UD ID number
  2. Institution & the term you plan on attending
  3. Web links to the institution's home page and their current academic course catalog
  4. Official course description containing:
    • A thorough description of topics covered
    • Course number, title, # of credits

If a lecture and lab are separated into two courses, provide information for both courses. If the course description is inadequate, the department may request a syllabus. When your intended courses have been evaluated, the departmental contact will complete the pertinent section of the form or e-mail you with the course equivalent information. If the latter, attach a copy of their e-mail to the Transfer Credit Evaluation form.

STEP 4:   Obtain the approval and signature of the Assistant Dean of your College (the College of your major). If the department course approvals were sent to you via e-mail, those e-mails must be attached to the Transfer Credit Evaluation form. Students are also encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to determine the applicability of transfer credits to their degree program.

STEP 5:   Return the signed form to the Registrar's Office at 210 S. College Ave.
NOTE: If the student is receiving federal student aid and intends to use these funds in the academic term(s) for which this form applies, please make an appointment with Student Financial Services.

STEP 6:   Upon completion of the course, an official transcript must be sent directly from the external institution to UD in a secure manner:

Registrar-Transfer Credit
University of Delaware
210 S. College Avenue
Newark, DE 19716

If the external institution offers an electronic transcript option, the student may request that the external institution send a password protected, official transcript directly to UD at the address Electronic transcripts forwarded from the student are deemed unofficial.

If the transcript is issued to the student, it must be submitted to UD in its original sealed envelope. Transcripts that do not arrive in their original sealed envelopes are deemed unofficial.

STEP 7:  Two weeks after the official transcript has been submitted to UD, review UDSIS to ensure the credits have been posted. If not posted, verify UD has received the official transcript by contacting us at