Enabling optional updates on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer
To maximize Window's Automatic Updates feature, Information Technologies recommends that you turn on automatic updating for the Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating system as well as updates for other Microsoft products such as Office. Automatic updates will help ensure your Microsoft products are as secure and stable as possible. To enable optional updates, follow these steps:
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click System and Security.
- Click Windows Update.
- Click Change Settings in the left column.
- Confirm that a check mark appears in the checkbox in the Recommended updates section (as indicated by the red arrow in the following graphic).
- Click OK to return to Windows Update.
- Windows Updates will automatically search for any needed updates from this point on unless you change the settings.