Study Abroad

Offered by Other Institutions

Printable Student Checklist


Finding programs:

After you've investigated the wide array of programs that UD offers, you still might not find what you're looking for. If that's the case, you will have to go outside the University to find a study abroad program that meets your needs.

Seeking your own study abroad program through another school can be an overwhelming task. There are many sources you can use to find out about programs, but some of the most common are:

(Note that UD does not endorse these or any other search engines.)


Narrow down your search by deciding on where you'd like to study and during what term (spring or fall semester, summer, full academic year, or "intersession", which can have lots of meanings-make sure you check the program start and end dates!) Then look closely at the details of each program and decide which one meets your needs best. Cost and course offerings are particularly important things to consider. You may also want to contact the program provider and ask if they can refer you to former participants; that way, you can learn about the program from a student's perspective.




When it comes to courses, you should involve your UD academic advisor. Make sure that your advisor agrees that the courses you want to take abroad will help you progress towards your degree.



Transfer credit #1:

Once you and your advisor have agreed on a program that works for you, review the process for transferring credit from international institutions (managed by the University Registrar's Office). Step 1 will ask you to complete a Transfer Institution / Program Approval form. This form allows the Registrar’s Office to verify that UD will accept credit from your selected program, how the credits abroad equate to credits at UD, and the minimum grade required for transfer.



Transfer credit #2:

Follow these instructions to download and complete a Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) form. On the TCE form, list all of the courses that you might choose to take abroad. You will need to seek department approval for each course. Follow the steps on the link above to send course descriptions or syllabi to each department for review. For example, if you plan to take courses in political science, history, and geography on Arcadia's semester program in Australia, then you will need to email course descriptions from Arcadia to the UD departments of Political Science, History, and Geography. The department will review the course, determine the correct UD equivalent, and email approval to you and the Registrar’s Office.

You should collect signatures and understand how the coursework will apply to your degree before you make a final commitment to the non-UD program. Give yourself plenty of time for this process. Sometimes it can take weeks to track everyone down, and they may ask you to obtain more information.

When you have approval for all of your courses, print the departmental approval emails, attach them to your TCE form, and take the packet to your assistant dean (college of your major) for final review and signature. When the TCE form has been signed, deliver it to the Registrar’s Office in the University Visitor’s Center. Their office will keep the TCE on file while you are abroad.

At the end of your non-UD program, request that the study abroad provider send an original, official transcript to the Registrar’s Office at the address provided below. Registrar's will match the courses on the abroad transcript with those approved on your TCE form, post them to your UD transcript, and charge a fee to your UD student account. Note that the grades you earn abroad will appear on your unofficial transcript, but will not become part of your UD GPA. The credits, if approved, will count towards your UD degree. You must earn at least a grade equivalent to a C at UD (not C-) in order for the course credits to transfer to UD.

Registrar-Transfer Credit
University of Delaware
210 S. College Avenue
Newark, DE 19716, USA

For complete step-by-step instructions on transfer credit, visit this page on the Registrar's website.



Leave of absence:

If you plan on being away from UD for a semester or more, you will need to request to take an academic leave of absence for fall or spring semester (or both). This can be done in the office of your college's assistant dean.



Financial aid and scholarships:

If you receive any type of financial aid or scholarship, you should meet with a staff member in the Student Financial Services office to find out 1) if any of this money is transportable to your non-UD study abroad program, and 2) if it isn't, whether the money will be there for you when you return to UD. If some of your aid comes in the form of student loans, you need to make sure that the lending agency knows that you will be a full-time student at another institution. Otherwise they may think that, since you are not at UD, you are no longer a student, and they may expect you to begin paying back your loans.



Registration and housing:

Finally, if you are going to be away from campus for a semester or more, make sure you make note of dates for pre-registration for the following UD semester so you can take care of that online from abroad. If you want to live on campus when you get back, be sure to make arrangements with the Residence Life & Housing office before you leave. Or if you are currently living on campus and plan to study abroad in the spring, request to be released from your year-long housing contract as soon as you have committed to your study abroad program. 



Forwarding UD e-mail:

When studying abroad on a non-UD program (i.e. while not enrolled at UD), your UD email may be suspended. In order to continue receiving e-mail sent to your UD account, you have 2 options. 1) Email, explain that you will be on leave of absence for non-UD study abroad, and request access to your UD email.  Or 2) forward your UD e-mail to another address (see "Forwarding email" on this IT Support Center page.

Yes, participating in a non-UD study abroad program requires organization and planning on your part, but many students have done so with great success. If you have any questions about the pre-departure process, please contact us for clarification.




If a study abroad provider requires other forms that need UD signatures, or if you need a letter for your visa application:

  • If the form requests UD approval for you to participate in the program, go to the Institute for Global Studies for signature.
  • If the form requests conduct or discipline information, go to the Office of Student Conduct for signature (218 Hullihen Hall).
  • If the form requests approval that UD will accept or transfer credits, go to the Registrar’s Office for signature (210 S. College Ave.).
  • If the form requests approval that courses will count toward your degree/major, go to the Asst. Dean of your College for signature.
  • If you need an official letter attesting to your enrollment and status “in good academic standing,” contact your academic advisor or the Asst. Dean of your College.


    • Institute for Global Studies  •  Clayton Hall, 100 David Hollowell Drive  •   Newark, DE 19716, USA
      Phone: (302) 831-2852  •   Fax: (302) 831-6042  •   © 2018