University of Delaware

Office of the University Registrar

gpa calculator academic catalog
Upcoming Events

Matriculated Students - Transfer Credit from International Institutions

Complete the steps below if you are:

    • a matriculated UD undergraduate (fr/soph/jr/sr)
    • who would like to transfer credit taken at an international institution or non-UD study abroad
    • or who has been accepted to participate in a UD exchange program
    • Note: If you are currently an ELI AT/CAP student, an incoming transfer student, or newly admitted student, follow these separate instructions (for coursework from a U.S. institution or an international institution).

Important Information:

  1. The student (not a family member) must complete all transfer credit paperwork.
  2. Complete this process before going abroad, or your courses may not transfer after the program.
  3. Cost for transferring credit = $75 per term, per institution. This is billed after credits post to your record.
  4. If you plan to use federal financial aid for a semester program outside of UD, be sure to enroll full-time. To keep your "full-time status," make sure you will be taking the equivalent of at least 12 UD credits. We also suggest that you make an appointment with Student Financial Services to discuss your plans.

Procedure for Study Outside the U.S.

Click each step below for detailed instructions. Or download all steps on this printable PDF.

Step 1
UD confirms if we will accept transfer credit from a specific institution or study abroad program.
Step 2
Prepare course paperwork for departmental review.
Step 3
Departments review course descriptions/syllabi and approve equivalencies.
Step 4
Assistant Dean (for the College of your major) reviews the final forms and approval emails.
Step 5
Review UD policies and deliver your completed paperwork to the Registrar's Office.
Step 6
Ask the institution to send an official final transcript to the Registrar’s Office.
Step 7
When your official transcript arrives, we will match your courses to the department approvals, post your credits, and charge the transfer credit fee.

Questions or concerns? Contact the Registrar’s Office at Additional information can be found in the Undergraduate Programs section of the Catalog.

Step 1 -Complete an online Transfer Institution / Program Approval (TIPA) Form.

(Students accepted to a UD exchange should skip step 1 – your program has already been approved.)

  1. We will review the institution and their credit/grade policies. This process takes up to 2 weeks. We will email you to confirm if UD will accept transfer credits from this institution.
  2. Note that we are not endorsing the program, but only confirming if UD will accept transfer credit.
  3. Not all international institutions nor study abroad programs are eligible for course transfer.
    • Institutions must be degree-granting and regionally accredited/recognized.
    • Courses must be at the college level and align with UD’s curriculum. Credit must be issued on an official institutional transcript (in English, or with a certified, literal translation).

Step 2 - Print, complete and sign a Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) form, and gather course descriptions/syllabi.

  1. If requesting transfer cr. from multiple institutions, or in multiple terms, complete a separate TCE form for each.
  2. Review the courses offered at the international institution. Select courses you may like to take.
  3. Collect official course descriptions or syllabi from the institution (links, PDFs, printed copies).
  4. Course materials should include:
    • Course number, title, number of credits (or whatever the school uses to identify the course)
    • A thorough description of topics or areas covered (as many details as possible)
    • If science lab/lectures are separated, provide information for both courses
  5. Friendly tip: we recommend that you have more courses evaluated than you plan to take. If your first choice classes are full, it is helpful to have prior approval for several alternates.

Step 3 - Departmental Course Review (this process takes time – don’t wait for the last minute):

  1. Determine which UD departments need to evaluate your courses. For example, if you plan to take courses in both History and Chemistry, History courses will be reviewed by the HIST department, and Chemistry courses by CHEM.
  2. These transfer credit department contacts review/approve coursework for their individual departments. Find the correct department on the list, and email this person the following information:
    1. Your name & UD ID
    2. Institution & term you plan to attend
    3. Course description/Syllabus
  3. The departmental contact will evaluate the course, determine if there is a UD equivalent, and email you, copying If you have not heard their decision in 1-2 weeks, follow-up with them.

Step 4 - Assistant Dean Review:

  1. Take the following materials to the Assistant Dean of the College of your major for review/signature:
    1. Completed/signed TCE form
    2. Completed/signed Leave of Absence (LOA) form (if studying at another U.S. institution for a full semester, or if taking a summer/winter course and this is your last term – ask Asst. Dean for details)
    3. Printed e-mails of department approvals (sent from the department contact)
    4. Students who are currently away from campus may complete this process via email. Print/scan a PDF of the departmental approvals, and attach the PDFs when emailing the Assistant Dean. Do NOT forward a copy of departmental emails – we cannot accept forwarded approvals.
  2. Friendly tip: Meet with your academic advisor to confirm how transfer credits will count toward your degree.

Step 5 - Review Policy Info & Deliver Final Paperwork:

  1. Return the completed/signed TCE form to the Registrar's Office at 210 S. College Ave. (or the Asst. Dean may send this directly to our office).
    • If you will be using financial aid, make a copy of your signed TCE to deliver to Student Financial Services.
    • Credits at UD are based on the semester system, with a standard number of hours required per credit
    • Grades at UD are based on a standard 4 point scale (0.0 to 4.0). UD uses our own grade conversion scales (irrespective of suggestions offered by other institutions).
    • Both credit and grade scales may differ at international institutions. We will do our best to confirm this before you participate (so that you know how many credits will transfer, and the min. grade that you need to earn).
    • Courses must be taken for a letter grade (not pass/fail). The min. grade accepted for credit is a UD "C" (2.0).
    • Grades for transfer courses are not part of your UD GPA, and do not appear on your external UD transcript.
  2. If a study abroad provider requires other forms that need UD signatures, or if you need a letter for your visa application:
    • If the form requests UD approval for you to participate in the program, go to the Institute for Global Studies for signature (Clayton Hall).
    • If the form requests conduct or discipline information, go to the Office of Student Conduct for signature (218 Hullihen Hall).
    • If the form requests approval that UD will accept or transfer credits, go to the Registrar’s Office for signature (210 S. College Ave.).
    • If the form requests approval that courses will count toward your degree/major, go to the Asst. Dean of your College for signature.
    • If you need an official letter attesting to your enrollment and status "in good academic standing," contact your academic advisor or the Asst. Dean of your College.

Step 6 - Official transcript:

  1. We require an official transcript, issued by the institution (or their U.S. school of record).
  2. Paper transcripts should be sent to this address:
       Registrar - Transfer Credit
       University of Delaware
       210 S. College Avenue
       Newark, DE 19716
  3. Electronic transcripts should be password protected, emailed from the institution directly to Electronic transcripts forwarded from the student will not be accepted.
  4. If the original transcript is not in English, also provide a certified literal English translation.
  5. If the institution sends the paper transcript directly to you, do NOT open it. Bring the original sealed envelope to the Registrar’s Office. Transcripts must be in original sealed envelopes.

Step 7 - Posting Credit:

  1. 1-2 weeks after we receive your official transcript, we will post credits that were approved on your TCE form.
  2. Cost for transferring credit = $75 per term, per institution. This charge posts to your UD student account when the credits post to your record.
  3. Check UDSIS to confirm that credits posted correctly. If there is an issue, contact
  4. If you took different courses on the program (that were not reviewed/approved on your original TCE), complete an additional TCE form (Steps 2-5) to seek departmental and Asst. Dean approval.