In the academic school year of 1994, a group of concerned minority students met to discuss issues affecting minorities in the College of Nursing at the University of Delaware. The issues discussed in this meeting dealt with the lack of cultural sensitivity taught in the nursing curriculum at UD and the lack of recruitment of minority students into the nursing program.
As a result of this meeting, planning, and determination, the Black Nurses' Association became an official organization active on the University of Delaware campus the following year. The Black Nurses' Association was led by Belena Butler (BNA's 1st President), who focused on recruiting more minorities into the nursing program at UD.
In order to meet this goal, the C.A.R.E. (Cultural Advancement Recruitment and Enrichment) program was created. This program was a big success. Even though the C.A.R.E. program is the BNA's biggest project, we also participate in community services, programming on campus, and many more activities. Today the BNA is still active on campus taking its focus beyond recruitment and into community outreach, educating, and much more.
In 2006 the name of the organization was changed to the Minority Student Nurses Organization (MSNO).
On April 24, 2015, the name was changed to the Multicultural Student Nurses Organization.
- Continue to increase recruitment and retention of minority students in the School of Nursing through the C.A.R.E. Program and other activities.
- Bring more cultural sensitivity to the School of Nursing through education.
- Plan and implement more bonding activities for the Multicultural Student Nurses Organization (MSNO) members.
- Build a liaison between MSNO and the Student Nurse Organization (SNO) through co-sponsorships and other activities.
- Build a stronger community at the University of Delaware by promoting health awareness activities, education, and community service.
- Build a stonger minority community at the University of Delaware by networking with other minority-targeting organizations on campus.
- Plan and implement more interactive fundraising activities.
For additional information -
Email: Shivani Patel,
- President-: Shivani Patel
- Vice-President: Christiana Taylor
- Treasurer: Fiona Or
- Programming Chair: Roanne Dacumos
- Fundraising Chair:
- MSNO Faculty Advisor: Pia Inguito, PhD, RN