Getting Started as a New Graduate Student

International Students

Welcome New Foreign Students and Scholars!

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Delaware. I am sure you have many questions about the United States and particularly about the University of Delaware and your anticipated program of study.


  1. Please report to the Office of Foreign Student & Scholar (OFSS) office with your Passport, I-94 and all visa documentation immediately upon arrival in Newark.
  2. Please report to the Office of Graduate and Professional Education located at 234 Hullihen Hall in order to:
    • Set PIN #
    • Be activated for registration.
    • Obtain temporary Social Security Number (SSN).
      *Be sure to provide your Departmental secretary with this number.*
      Students may use the temporary SSN until a permanent number is obtained.
      The Office of Foreign Students and Scholars will arrange for a representative from the Social Security Office to visit the campus after Orientation to process your application for the permanent SSN.
  3. For your ID Card: Please go to the ID Office located in the Student Services Building (30 Lovett Ave) to get your University Photo ID

New foreign students are required to attend an orientation program. Please visit the Office of Foreign Students & Scholars (OFSS) website to view pertinent information and important forms.  

We look forward to seeing you at the beginning of the semester.

Susan C. Lee
Foreign Student & Scholar Adviser