gpa calculator academic catalog
Upcoming Registrar Related Events

Newly Admitted and Transfer Students -
Transfer Credits from U.S. Institutions

Complete the steps below if you:

Have coursework taken at a U.S. institution before being admitted to UD and are:

  • - a newly admitted student or transfer student, soon to become a UD undergraduate
  • - a current ELI student taking classes at UD as part of AT or CAP

Note: If you are currently a matriculated undergrad, follow these separate instructions to transfer coursework from a U.S. institution or an international institution.

Note: If you have applied and are strongly considering transferring to UD, as a prospective transfer student you are welcome to send your courses to departments to review (follow steps outlined below). Note that some departments experience extremely high volume, and may not be able to review your courses until after your admission to UD. This decision is at the discretion of each department.

Important Information:

  1. The student (not a family member) must complete all transfer credit paperwork.
  2. UD does not charge a fee to transfer courses taken before admission to UD.

Procedure for Transferring Courses from a U.S. Institution

Click each step below for detailed instructions. Or download all steps on this printable PDF.

Step 1
Transcript review.
Step 2
UD confirms the institution (if transfer credit will be accepted).
Step 3
Preliminary course evaluation. Courses will likely post as elective credit.
Step 4
To have courses reevaluated, prepare course paperwork to send to departments.
Step 5
Send course descriptions/syllabi to departments for review. This can take 1-2 weeks.
Step 6
When department decisions arrive, Registrar’s office will update your record. This can take 1 week. Check UDSIS to confirm that your updates have posted; meet with your advisor to discuss.

Questions or concerns? Contact the Registrar’s Office at Additional information can be found in the Undergraduate Programs section of the Catalog.

Step 1 - Submit original transcript.

An original, official transcript is required for all coursework from a U.S. institution, taken before entering UD.

  1. If you submitted an official transcript to the Admissions Office, our office will use this to transfer credit.
  2. If the transcript that you gave to the Admissions Office did not include your final semester(s) of classes, our office will need a final official transcript (showing your final grades for these courses).

If your institution will be sending UD an official transcript:

  1. Paper transcripts should be sent to this address:
       Office of Undergraduate Admissions
       Univ. of Delaware
       210 S. College Avenue
       Newark, DE 19716
  2. Electronic transcripts should be password protected, emailed from the institution directly to transcripts forwarded from the student will not be accepted.
  3. If the institution sends a paper transcript directly to you, do NOT open it. Bring the original sealed envelope to the Registrar's Office at 210 S. College Ave. UD will not accept transcripts that have been opened.

Step 2 - UD confirms if we accept transfer credit from your institution, and how courses will initially transfer.

  1. Check the Transfer Matrix to see if UD has accepted courses from your U.S. institution in the past. If you do not see your institution listed, email
  2. UD only accepts coursework from U.S. institutions which are degree-granting, regionally accredited by the appropriate body and at the appropriate higher education level.
  3. Next, check if UD has accepted your specific courses from this institution.
    • If the courses are listed, you will receive the posted UD equivalents.
    • If the courses are not listed, departments will need to review/approve course descriptions or syllabi.
  4. UD accepts courses which are at a comparable level to courses taught at UD.
  5. UD does not award credit for:
    • Pass/fail courses, or courses with a grade below UD’s "C" (2.0)
    • Course content not aligning with UD’s curriculum, including remedial coursework, religious instruction, English language instruction, CLEP or other life experience courses
  6. UD uses its own transfer and conversion policies. Another U.S. university may recommend different conversions. If there is a difference, UD’s policies prevail.

Step 3 - UD does a preliminary course evaluation and posts credits.

  1. You can view your preliminary course evaluation through your My Blue Hen Home student portal.
  2. In many cases, courses initially post as elective credit (courses ending with #66T). Elective credits count toward the total number of credits needed to complete your degree.
  3. If you receive credit as UNIV 166T, the coursework is not likely within a specific academic department at UD.
  4. Depending on the content, your elective coursework may have a specific equivalent at UD. The UD equivalent may fulfill specific requirements for your major.
  5. To have your elective (#66T) courses reevaluated for UD equivalents, do Step 4.

Step 4 - Prepare course paperwork to send to the departmental contact for review.

  1. Collect official course descriptions or syllabi from the institution (web links, PDFs, printed copies).
    • The institution should be clearly identifiable on all documentation.
    • Descriptions or syllabi should be for the term when you took the course.
  2. Course materials should include:
    • Course number, title, number of credits (or whatever the school uses to identify the course)
    • A thorough description of topics or areas covered (as many details as possible)
    • If science lab/lectures are separated, provide information for both courses

Step 5 - Departmental course review (this process takes time):

  1. For most courses (all except English composition and U.S. military): Download this template and copy/paste the text into a blank email, edit with your information, and send your course descriptions/syllabi to the departmental contact for review. For example, if you took courses in both History and Chemistry, History courses are reviewed by the HIST department, and Chemistry courses by CHEM.
  2. For ENGL comp. (ENGL 110) requests: Follow these specific ENGL 110 Transfer / Exemption Instructions. If you completed an English composition course while a high school student, please note the English Department’s policy regarding dual enrollment.
  3. For U.S. military courses: Download this template and copy/paste the text into a blank email, edit with your information, and send your course descriptions/course exhibits/occupation exhibits to the departmental contact for review. For example, if you took coursework in Military Science and History, Military Science courses are reviewed by the MLSC department, and History courses are reviewed by the HIST department.
  4. The departmental contact will evaluate the course, determine if there is a UD equivalent, and email you, copying
  5. If you do not hear back from a departmental contact, it is your responsibility to follow-up with this person.

Step 6 - Confirm that the UD equivalents posted to your record & meet with your advisor.

  1. When departmental contacts confirm an equivalent course, we will update your student record.
    This process can take 1 week.
  2. Check My Blue Hen Home (or UDSIS) to confirm that the UD equivalent course posted correctly.
    If there is an issue, contact
  3. We also recommend that you meet with your academic advisor to review how equivalent courses will count toward your degree.