gpa calculator academic catalog
Upcoming Events

Military and Veterans Services

Veteran Services Coordinator:

     Brooks Raup, serves as a resource for all students using VA education benefits.



University Visitors Center
Attn: Veterans Services
210 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19716
PH: 302-831-0552
FAX: 302-831-3005

The VA Application Process

  • Check for Eligiblity

    Please see G.I. Bill Chapters & Educational Benefits for a brief overview of chapters and educational benefits offered to service members, veterans, spouses, and other family members.

    • If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/l1 GI Bill.
    • If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.
    • If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of El-E5, 01-02, or WI-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.
    • If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.
  • Apply for Benefits through the VA

    To receive benefits, you must apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Affairs determines the amount of benefits a student can receive. UD Registrar's staff cannot estimate benefit amounts or apply for benefits on behalf of a student.

    Please contact Veterans Affairs at or call 1-855-574-7286 if you are in need of VA advisement, or for additional information.

    The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA.

How to receive VA benefits at the University of Delaware

Once you have received your VA Certificate of Eligibility letter, please complete the steps listed in this section.

NOTE: All University of Delaware undergraduate and graduate programs are approved by the Delaware State Approving Agency for training of veterans.

In order to utilize Veterans Education Benefits, a student must be an admitted University of Delaware student. If you are interested in applying for undergraduate admission to the University of Delaware, please visit our website: or contact the undergraduate admissions office at 302-831-8123.

If you are already a UD student and think that you may be eligible to receive Veteran's Education Benefits, please contact Veterans Affairs at or 1-855-574-7286.

Transfer Credit

The University of Delaware accepts credits from degree-granting institutions that are regionally-accredited by the appropriate body and at the appropriate higher educational level. College level coursework completed at degree-granting colleges/universities with other accreditations may be eligible for transfer credit. For transfer of courses taken before admission to UD, the policy is to accept each course that meets the general standards for transfer. This does not guarantee that all accepted courses will be useful in a student's intended degree program. Depending on course content and the nature of the particular UD program, courses accepted for transfer may function as specific requirements, as electives, or may not be applicable at all toward certain degrees. For additional information, contact the Office of the University Registrar at

New / Current Students:

  1. Be admitted to the university
  2. Register for courses
  3. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA to the Registrar's Office (address above).
    If that has not been received yet, a copy of the VA application may be used in the meantime.
  4. After registering for classes, complete and submit the UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form  (UDelNet Login required)
  5. After you have submitted your Certificate of Eligibility letter, and completed the forms listed, UD's VA Certifying Official will electronically submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments.
  6. See Requirements During the Semester/Term

Graduate Students


All Transfer Students

  1. Be admitted to the university;
  2. Register for courses
  3. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA to the Registrar's office.
  4. If you have used the benefits at a previous college/university, you must also submit a Change of Place of Training Form (22-1995 or if you are a Ch.35 student, form 22-5495);
  5. Complete and submit the UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form  (UDelNet Login required)
  6. After you have submitted your Certificate of Eligibility letter, and completed the forms listed, UD's VA Certifying Official will electronically submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments.
  7. See Requirements During the Semester/Term

Requirements During the Semester/Term

Enrollment Changes

You must notify UD's VA services office if you change your major, withdraw, or add and/or drop classes.

Failure to report changes to enrollment may cause an overpayment for which the student is responsible for repayment to the V.A.


The VA will be notified of failure to maintain standards of attendance, progress or conduct: When a student has failed to maintain the prescribed standard of attendance, progress, or conduct, the school must promptly notify the VA so that the VA can discontinue benefit payments in accordance with the law. If a student's progress or conduct becomes unsatisfactory, the termination date assigned by the school will be the last day of the term or other evaluation period in which the student's progress or conduct became unsatisfactory. In situations involving unsatisfactory attendance, benefits will be discontinued based on the student's last date of attendance as reported by the school.

Vet Benefit Payments in UDSIS

Chapter 33 / Post 911 students:
You will have all or most of their tuition and fees paid for by the VA. UD receives those fees directly from the VA. You must report this credit at UDSIS "My Finances". See the tutorial on how to report VA benefits.

Course Attendance

Chapter 30, 1606 & 1607 veterans:
You will NOT receive payment until you have also verified your monthly attendance directly with the VA.

Enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using the Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IV) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

How to Renew VA Enrollment Certification in Subsequent Terms

Enrollment Certification Renewal for upcoming semesters/terms is NOT automatic. If you plan to use VA Benefits, you must submit the

UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form

as soon as you register for the following term to reactivate your benefits and prevent a lapse in payment. Without a new enrollment form, your payments will stop.

Military Call-Up, Absences, & Readmission

A student ordered to active duty due to national crisis, under circumstances that preclude completion of a semester or session, will be allowed to take a leave of absence from the University for two consecutive semesters. The student should send a copy of their military orders to the Veteran Services Coordinator or come to University Visitors Center, room 143, to complete a withdrawal/leave notification form.

Special provisions of the University of Delaware Loading... apply to students seeking readmission after performing military service. Enrolled military spouses who must move due to redeployment or relocation should consult with their assistant dean before leaving the University.

eBenefits VA Portal

Create an account at to have easy access to your eBenefits information. This applies to all VA Chapters.

eBenefits is a central location for Veterans, Service Members, and their families to research, find, access, and, in time, manage their benefits and personal information. It provides quick access to eBenefits tools that allow you to apply for benefits, download your DD 214, view your benefits status, in addition to other actions as needed. A catalog of links to other sites that provide information about military and Veteran benefits is also provided.


GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible active duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning. It allows Soldiers to manage their education records including college classes, testing, on-duty classes and Army Education Counselor support.

Additional Veterans Resources at the University of Delaware


1. How do I apply for admission to the University of Delaware?

You must apply through the appropriate UD Admissions Office. Prospective undergraduate students will find application information at; graduate student should refer to:

2. How do I find out what VA benefits I might qualify for or if I have any VA benefits remaining?

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or visit their website at You could also go to and apply for benefits.

3. What do I need to do each semester to continue receiving VA benefits?

Complete and submit the UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form once you've officially registered for classes.

4. Will I qualify for in-state tuition?

For information on UD's tuition policy, see residency information.

5. Can I get a tutor?

Eligible veterans who have a course deficiency may be eligible to receive reimbursement for payment to a tutor for individual tutoring. Visit the VA website at for more information and to obtain the Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t).
Free Tutorial Assistance is offered for many courses through UD's Office of Academic Enrichment located on campus. If you have additional questions, or need specific guidance, please contact their office by calling 302-831-4555 or send an email to

6. Do VA benefits affect Financial Aid?

Yes, VA benefits must be reported and may be calculated in award packages. For further information, contact the UD Student Financial Services Office at 302-831-2126.

7. Transfer Students

If you are a transfer student and have used VA benefits at your previous college/university and would like to continue receiving the same benefits at UD, you don't need to reapply. You may submit a change of place of training form 22-1995 or 22-5495 (if you are a Ch. 35 dependent).

8. Dependents of Veterans

If you are a dependent of a veteran and will be receiving benefits under the Chapter 33 Post 9-11 transfer option, submit your VA certificate of eligibility.

9. Will the VA reimburse me for study-abroad?

The VA will reimburse the appropriate portion of tuition charged for classes. However, travel and study abroad fees cannot be reported to the VA under any circumstances.

10. Does UD offer any transfer credit for my military service?

See Transfer Credit for Military Experience.

11. Can veterans register earlier than other students for classes?

For each class (seniors through freshmen) numerous enrollment blocks of appointments are created, based on earned hours, to manage the enrollment process fairly and efficiently. Veterans who are using G.I. Educational Benefits are given priority registration appointments within their class. For example, senior veterans are placed in a senior priority registration appointment and register before other seniors. Likewise, veterans in the other classes are assigned to the priority registration appointments of their class.