gpa calculator academic catalog
Upcoming Registrar Related Events



General Information

Approximately six weeks after the date of degree conferral, paper diplomas are mailed to graduates who have cleared all financial obligations to the university. Beyond that point, graduates must submit a diploma application and fee.

Certified Electronic Diplomas (CeDiplomas) are available for purchase shortly after graduation.

Diploma Name

Students are responsible for ensuring that their names are listed correctly in UDSIS PRIOR to GRADUATION. The diploma is printed using the Primary name that appears in your UDSIS Personal Information tile > Personal Details, unless a Diploma Name is provided. See How to Update Diploma Name section below.

The University of Delaware considers the diploma to be a ceremonial document. We recognize there may be circumstances in which a degree candidate may want their diploma to reflect a name that is different from the legal name on their student record. Please consider whether any of the following circumstances apply to you before establishing a Diploma Name that is different from your legal name. Doing so may result in unexpected delays and/or complications as described below.

    1. Degree Verification
      Degree candidates may select to have a Diploma Name that is different from their legal name on their student record (noted as the "Primary Name" in UDSIS). Your Primary Name/legal name will be printed on official transcripts and other educational records.
    2. Professional Licensure (Law, Medicine, Nursing, etc)
      Before adding a Diploma Name, please take into consideration that you may need to use your diploma in conjunction with your official transcript for employment, licensure [Law, Medicine, Nursing, etc.], credentialing, visa applications, and/or other processes that require verification of your education records and the use of your legal name. Third parties using the Diploma Name as it appears on your diploma will not be able to verify your education credentials through the National Student Clearinghouse because your legal name is provided for enrollment/degree verification purposes.
    3. Graduates that plan to live and work abroad
      For students and those who plan to live, study, or work outside of the United States, please be aware that some countries consider the diploma a credential document. This means you may be asked to show your Diploma to confirm your educational credential. If your Diploma Name is different from your legal name you may experience unforeseen complications, including rejected or delayed education verifications.
  • A student who needs to order a replacement diploma, either because theirs was lost/damaged or because they are required to show a copy with their legal name for verification purposes, may submit a Diploma Replacement request form. Please note that there is a fee for this service.

    How to Update Diploma Name

    To specify a Diploma Name, go to your Personal Information tile, and on the Personal Details screen click the + sign to add a Name with type: Diploma. Do not specify Prefix; this will not be used. Click Save. After you add a diploma name, its display will convert to a "Firstname Lastname" format, but your diploma will appear as you entered it.

    Students who have already changed their name legally but have not yet updated their Primary Name in UDIS, should do so using the Change of Name Request Form.

    Diploma Address

    Students are responsible for ensuring that their addresses are listed correctly in UDSIS PRIOR to GRADUATION. There is a charge to reprint a diploma.

    Addresses are specified in your UDSIS Personal Information tile > Addresses. The diploma is sent to the following address: Diploma Address; if none, then Home Address. To specify a Diploma Address, go to your Personal Information tile, and click on the Addresses link. Scroll down the RH screen and click the button Add Diploma Address. The Add Address screen should say Type: Diploma. Do not change the From date field; this is the date you are adding the address. Use only Address Lines 1 and 2 and click Save. Your diploma will be sent to the address you have entered.

    Diploma Shipments

    Diplomas are shipped by United States Postal Service in protective tubes. Upon receiving your diploma please open the tube carefully. Remove the shipping label to expose the seam of the tube. Twist the tube at the seam to remove the top and gently pull out your diploma. DO NOT punch in the end of the shipping tube, as this will likely damage your diploma.

    Diploma Details

    The actual size of the diploma is 16 inches by 12 inches. Consistent with policy set forth by the Board of Trustees, it lists the degree earned at the University of Delaware, for example, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Science, Doctor of Philosophy.

    There is one diploma issued per degree type, for example, students simultaneously pursing two Bachelor of Arts majors will be issued one Bachelor of Arts diploma. Certificates earned not in conjunction with a degree program will not receive a diploma.

    The Official Academic Transcript provides details concerning majors, concentrations and minors.

    Paper Diploma Replacements

    Paper Diploma Replacements, measuring 16 inches by 12 inches, can be ordered by mail for a cost of $25. Diplomas may only be ordered by the graduate.

    To order, submit the Paper Diploma Replacement Form.