Winter Session 2013: Supplemental Teaching Payments

General Instructions

Processing Aids, Contacts, Payroll Deadlines and other useful information is posted on the Payroll website.

Powerpoint notes on the layout and use of Chartfields on the S-contract and Grad Non-Contract Pay forms are also available.

Faculty (regular and supplemental) and Professional Staff:
All instructional staff except for graduate students must be paid on the PeopleSoft UD web forms S-contract. Before an S-contract can be made, the instructor must exist in the PeopleSoft system, If they are new employees a "New Hire JED" (Job Employee Data Form) must be completed first.

The following S-Contract fields and values pertain for Winter Session:

Semester = 13 Winter

Reason - depends on the type of work performed.

Activity Reason Notes
Lecture/Lab 01  
Administrative 08 Any activity without a "Course-ID", even if it is instructionally related.
Honorarium 06  
Independent Study 15 For Indep/Priv Study enter Course-ID, section, and Course-Type on the first page of the form, plus the Students and their credits in the "Comments" Section of page 2.
Music Priv. Study 10
Teaching 03 Professional and Continuing Studies contracts for Distance Learning and non-credit programs will be generated by the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies.

Payment based on hours worked? For Teaching, No.

Begin/End Dates: Both the Payment and Contract dates are normally the first and last day of the Winter Session. (Must be formatted as "mm/dd/ccyy")
Begin : 01/03/2013
End : 02/01/2013

Speedtype: As designated by the sponsoring department (e.g.: ACCT112115). Class = 000. Some departments are using different speedtypes for winter online, winter abroad, and winter-campus classes.

Earnings Code and Account depend on both the Employee category and whether the contracted activity is teaching or administrative. Use "Teaching" object codes only when the work is identified to a particular Course-ID. Otherwise, use the "Administrative" object code, even if the work is instructionally related but without a particular Course-ID.

Employee Duties Earn-Code Account
(mimics legacy object code)
Regular Faculty Teaching SCR 121400
Administrative SCR 120400
Professional Staff Teaching SCR 121400
Administrative SCR 120400
Supplemental Faculty Teaching OCY 121500
Administrative OCY 120500
Graduate Students Teaching STN 126900

Graduate students:

All Graduate Students (full-time and part-time) must be paid on the semi-monthly payroll. They can no longer be paid on the bi-weekly payroll, but must use either a JED or the electronic Graduate Student non-Contract Pay form as described below.

All payments to Graduate students require the approval of the Graduate Studies Office. Such approval should be obtained before a work agreement is made with the student.

US citizens who are students may work no more than 40-hrs/week within the University. For purposes of equating course teaching assignments to the weekly limit, use the following conversions. In Fall or Spring, four courses of three-credits each are considered equivalent to 40-hrs/week. In the Winter Session, two three-credit courses are considered equivalent to 40-hrs/week. In summer that 40-hr/wk limit equates to 12-credits' teaching across the entire summer. A maximum allowable teaching load would then be:
4 courses in fall + 2 winter + 4 spring + 4 summer (@3cr each)

Non-US citizens, according to INS regulations, are limited during the Fall and Spring semesters to working 20-hrs/week within the University. For purposes of equating course teaching assignments to the weekly limit, use the following conversions. In Fall or Spring, two courses of three-credits each are considered equivalent to 20-hrs/week. In the Winter Session the limit is 40-hrs/week and two three-credit courses are considered equivalent to 40-hrs/week. In the Summer Session all students are limited to teaching no more than 12 cr across the entire summer. A maximum teaching schedule for non-US citizens would then be:
2 courses in fall + 2 winter + 2 spring + 4 summer (@3cr each).

Rank for Supplemental Faculty

Off-campus faculty are normally compensated at the Instructor rate. Any exceptions to this guideline should be justified in the "Reason for Payment..." or "Comments" section. Justification should include: the name of the institution where the individual is normally employed, their rank/position at that institution, and any other reason for requesting payment in excess of the Instructor rate.

Professional Staff Eligibility

Supervisors of professionals being paid for Winter Session teaching must approve supplemental payments on the basis that this work is outside the individual's normal commitment to the University and will not conflict with his/her regular duties.

Please contact Payroll & Records Management (831-8677) with any additional questions about the preparation and routing of S-Contracts and "Graduate Student Non-Contract Pay" forms.

Payment Policy & Pay Rates

On-contract, full-time faculty teaching overloads (including Continuing Education, Special Sessions, and other overload teaching) are paid 2.25% per credit hour of their base academic year salary within the bounds of the "Floor" and "Ceiling" rates in the table below.

Payments for full-time faculty on 12-month appointments and for 12-month professional staff who hold a secondary faculty rank are paid based on their salary adjusted to a 9-month basis as follows:

(12-month "Annual Rate") x 9/11 = (Academic Year basis)
then determine 2.25% per credit and apply the Floor and Ceiling boundaries below.
Example: ($70,000 12-month-base) x 9/11 = ($57,273 as 9-month-base)... x 2.25% = $1288.64 per credit.

All professionals without a secondary academic rank will be paid at the floor rate for the rank for which they are qualified. Off-campus faculty are paid at the floor rate. Normally, their level will be that of "Instructor". If off-campus faculty hold a higher rank at another institution, or are otherwise particularly qualified for payment at a rank above Instructor, the academic department should contact the unit sponsoring the S-contract (Dean's office, Continuing Studies, or Special Sessions).

(Applies to Overload, Continuing Studies and Special Sessions)**
Effective September 1, 2012
1 cr 2 cr 3 cr 4 cr*** 1 cr 2 cr 3 cr 4 cr***
Full Professor 2385 4770 7155 9540 3285 6570 9855 13140
Associate 2050 4100 6150 8200 2240 4480 6720 8960
Assistant 1800 3600 5400 7200 1910 3820 5730 7640
Instructor 1525 3050 4575 6100 =Floor
Grad Student with Masters 1525 3050 4575 6100 =Floor
Grad Student w/o Masters 1410 2820 4230 5640 =Floor
Lab Teaching 2110  


* Rate applies to regular or part-time faculty teaching at his/her regular campus location or workplace or location within 50 miles round trip between instructor residence and course location. Add $100 if instructor travels 51-100 miles round trip between instructor residence and course location; add $200 if instructor travels more than 100 miles between residence and course location. Incremental payment for instruction at distance locations is based on extra commuting time incurred for such instruction.

** Any additional reimbursement for travel must be arranged in advance through the unit funding the overload.

*** Applies only if one instructor is teaching both lecture and laboratory of a 4-credit course. If laboratory is taught by different instructor, the lecturer receives the 3-credit course rate and the laboratory instructor the 1-credit rate.

**** Ceilings will be recomputed based upon actual 2012-13 average salaries by rank (excluding instructors) no later than January 20 of each respective year.

Compensation Limits

During the Winter Session compensation for regular University employees is not to exceed payment for two courses (6 credits) or its equivalent plus $360 for Supervised Study.

Spanning the period from September 1 through May 31 faculty members on academic year contracts may receive additional compensation beyond the terms of their basic appointments not to exceed the dollar value of three 4-credit courses plus $360 for Independent Study (in Winter Session).

In the Winter Session, graduate students are limited to working no more than 40-hrs/week (=2 courses of 3cr each).

Supervised Study

To be eligible for payment, the faculty member must meet with the student a minimum of two meetings per week during the Winter Session for a 3-credit hour supervised study. This meeting time can be prorated for other credit hour enrollments. Students who require less supervision, may, of course, earn credit, but the faculty will not be eligible for compensation in such cases.

Students must be registered for credit and pay the required tuition. Payment will not be made for directing a supervised study if the equivalent material is covered in a regular scheduled course during that academic session.

A faculty member is eligible to receive $40 per credit hour for directing supervised studies to a maximum of $120 per student and $360 for the entire Winter Session. If compensation is appropriate within the guidelines listed here, the HR web form "S-contract" should be used; the reason should be "Ind Study (15)"; the Course-ID, Section, and Course-Type should be entered on the first page of the form, and the comments section on the second page of the form should specify the names and credits for each registered student.

Departments are strongly urged to keep some written record of the content and grading criteria to which the faculty and student agree prior to the start of the supervised study experience.

UD Online/Distance Learning Payment Rates

Video-based, web-based and print-based distance learning classes are administered by the Division of Professional & Continuing Studies, who also prepare the applicable S-contracts for those classes.

The following rates are paid for teaching UD Online/Distance Learning Courses:

Rank Rate (per student-credit-hour)
Full Professor $88
Associate $84
Assistant $78
Instructor $74

Cancellation and Prorating in Undersubscribed Courses

To receive full compensation for a course, an instructor must have a minimum of ten students registered for an undergraduate course or six students in a graduate-level course. Courses with less than the minimum enrollment may be offered with the understanding that the faculty member's contract will be prorated accordingly (i.e.: by 1/10 of full salary for each student below 10 in an undergraduate course; by 1/6 of full salary for each student below 6 in a graduate course).

Study-Travel Courses: Study-travel courses include those offered within approved study-travel programs at locations abroad or within the U.S. but outside of the State of Delaware and which offer academic credit to students. Approved study-travel programs must meet minimum program enrollment guidelines set by the Center for International Studies. To receive full compensation for a study-travel course, an instructor must have a minimum of 5 students. Study-travel courses may be offered with less than the minimum figure with the understanding that the faculty member's contract will be prorated accordingly.

Faculty and Chairs will be able to track course enrollments throughout the registration period. It may be necessary to wait until late in the registration process to determine final salary amounts.

If the department and instructor determine that enrollment is insufficient to justify a particular course section, then the decision to cancel that section should be made in time that students can find a sustitute - normally before the holiday break, and the academic department should make every effort to notify the affected students as soon as possible.

Team Teaching

When more than one faculty member shares instructional responsibility for a course, each will receive a portion of his/her full salary according to their share of the course responsibilities. For example, if three instructors equally share in a three credit course, each would receive one-third of his/her salary at the appropriate rank, or a salary equal to one credit. When S-contracts are prepared for team-teaching situations, the number of credits' pay attributed to each instructor should be noted in the "Reason for Payment" section, and those credits should sum to the registration credits of the class, unless a specific exception has been granted in advance.

Employee/Dependent Fee Waivers

The utilization of a fee waiver in any course is subject to the provision that it must not add appreciable costs to the University. If salary proration or course cancellation would be appreciably changed by including students on fee waivers, then the instructor should discuss salary concerns with the unit funding the course.

Last modified: October 23, 2012