University of Delaware
  • UD Search
Terra Dotta

Transferring Out


Procedures for Transferring out for Graduate and Undergraduate Students

To be eligible to transfer to another DHS-approved school, students must be maintaining valid F-1 or J-1 status. Students must transfer their immigration status within the 60 day grace period following successful completion of the current program of study or period of authorized Optional Practical Training (for F-1s) or before the end of their program (for J-1s).
Students intending to transfer prior to completion of their program should request the transfer prior to their last date of attendance at UD. Speak with an international student advisor to determine the transfer release date.
You must begin your study at the new school no later than 5 months after the date of your last attendance at UD.

Note for Graduate Students: You must officially withdraw from your program before a transfer will be completed on your behalf.

Transfer procedures

Please complete the International Request to Transfer Out Form online.

You will need to upload the following documents to the online form. Please note that OISS will no longer accept paper forms or letters of acceptance:

  • Written confirmation of your acceptance by another SEVIS-certified school.
  • Transfer form from your new school showing the SEVIS school code (F-1) or program code (J-1) and the contact information for the transfer-in school

Travel during the transfer process

The student must reenter the United States with a Form I-20/DS-2019 for the school that holds his or her active or initial record. We recommend that you time your travel and transfer to allow enough time for the new school to issue your new I-20/DS-2019. Transfers must be completed before you leave the US.