The University of Delaware is participating in the Microsoft Office 365 for Education program which allows students and employees to download Microsoft Office at no charge. Students may continue to use Office as long as they remain enrolled in classes at the University, and employees may use the software as long as they are employed at the University. (Restrictions below)
UD students and employees can download Office using the Microsoft Office 365 Portal, App Store (Apple iOS devices), or Google Play Store (Android phones). (Directions below)
Different applications are included in Office 365 for Education depending on the computer or device you are using.
Note: Only Office Web applications are available for Android tablets.
- Proceed to the Microsoft Office 365 Portal
- If you see a window asking you to choose your Office 365 account or your Organizational Account, choose Organizational Account.
- Fill in your username as UDelNetID@udel.edu, then press the TAB or ENTER key. For example, email@example.com.
- In the popup window, type UdelNetID@udel.edu and your UDelNet (UD email) password as indicated.
NOTE: If the correct password is not accepted on this screen, go to My UD Settings and change your password. Changing your password will cause the Office 365 for Education portal to recognize your password the next time you attempt to log in.
- Select Install, then follow the prompts.
The applications can be installed from the left side of the Microsoft Office 365 Portal.
- Each eligible person may install Office on up to 5 devices, and devices can be deactivated using the Microsoft Office 365 Portal.
- The procedures outlined above only need to be followed once for each computer or device on which Office is installed.
- Microsoft Office applications update automatically.
- This program is recommended for all University-owned systems.
- For machines primarily used by a single faculty or staff member, Office 365 should be activated by that user. If a system is transferred to a different user, the previous user should deactivate the license. The new user will be prompted to activate the license. An employee’s Office license will automatically deactivate when that employee leaves the University.
- For machines which are primarily shared or used in lab situations, contact the IT Support Center Link opens in a new window.
- This program is available for systems owned by University employees (for example, a home computer). When the employee no longer works for UD, Office 365 applications will stop working on the employee's computer or device, but the files created by the employee will remain on the computer or device.
- When a student is no longer enrolled in classes, Office 365 applications will stop working on the student's computer or device, but the files created by the student will remain on the computer or device.