University of Delaware


Overview of Winter Session

Winter Session is a five-week term between the fall and spring semesters. Students can earn up to seven credits, and choose from approximately 500 undergraduate and 50 graduate courses in the day or evening. This year there are also about 50 classes that meet on a 4-week schedule: starting January 8 and allowing students to extend their winter holiday before starting those classes. The concentrated Winter format allows students to earn credits while focusing on a single subject or exploring new interests. Winter Session is a time to choose from a variety of new and experimental courses. Students may expand their multicultural experiences through a Study Abroad program. There are also UD Online classes that can be taken anywhere a student may be.

Anyone may participate in Winter Session. Registration in the Winter Session neither requires nor implies admission to a degree program at the University of Delaware. Non-matriculated students are encouraged to contact the Professional and Continuing Studies ACCESS Center in Newark, 831-8843 for academic advisement,

This website, designed to assist students in planning their Winter Session program, contains certain information that relates only to the Winter Session. Additional information about the University of Delaware can be found in the current editions of the University Catalog and the Student Guide to University Policies.

Dining Plans

UD Dining will offer students participating in Winter Session the ability to dine at multiple residential and retail venues across campus. Winter meal plans contain a designated number of all-you-care-to-eat Meals and/or Points. Points are units of purchasing power that give you the convenience to buy food, snacks, or groceries from any dining location, without cash. Any remaining Points will carry over to the Spring semester. All unused Points are forfeited at the end of the Spring semester and have no refundable value.

Students living in traditional residence halls or suites are required to purchase a full-size plan. If you do not make a choice, the 12 Meals per week plus $84/67 in Points plan will be automatically billed to you.

Students living in the Christiana Towers Apartments, Graduate Student and Family Housing or off-campus may choose any of the plans offered; but that choice is optional.

Traditional residence halls & suites Resident Plans (MANDATORY)
Points per
UnlimitedUnlimited25 / 20 2$842$671
12 Weekly12 per week84 / 67 2$831$663
52 / 41 Block52 / 41
per session
109 / 87 2$831$663

Christiana Towers, Graduate, Family Housing and Off-Campus Resident Plans (OPTIONAL)
MealsPoints per
25 Anytime25 per session20 $345
75 Point none75 $75
150 Pointnone150 $150
300 Pointnone300 $300

Additional Points for any plan may be purchased through the Dining Choose or Change Application at, a cash deposit at one of four Value Transfer Stations on campus (located in the Trabant University Center, Perkins Student Center, Christiana Commons, and Morris Library); or a deposit at Cashiers or the outside drop slot at the Student Services Building (minimum $25 deposit). You may call (302) 831-4033 or email for details.

Meals will be redeemable at Pencader and Russell Dining Halls which will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner throughout the week and for brunch and dinner on weekends. Retail dining locations will have adjusted Winter Session schedules.


Special sessions are the perfect time to engage in self-discovery, pursue personal wellness, and consider what contributions you'd like to make to the UD and greater communities. Division of Student Life services that are available year-round, including winter and summer sessions, include:
Center for Black Culture
192 South College Avenue, 302-831-2991,
LGBT Program
015U Perkins Student Center, 302-831-6098,
Office of Student Conduct
218 Hullihen Hall, 302-831-2117,
New Student Orientation
231 Trabant University Center, 302-831-3313,
Student Services for Athletes
108-G Delaware Field House, 302-831-2748,
Student Wellness & Health Promotion
231 South College Avenue, 302-831-3457,

Office of the Dean of Students

101 Hullihen Hall, 302-831-8939
If you have a question, a concern or a problem to solve and you don't know where to begin solving it, start with your Office of the Dean of Students. ODS staff provide advocacy, support and resources to all students, and are available to assist those experiencing difficulties or contemplating leaving the University.

Residence Life & Housing

112 and 116 Gilbert Hall, 302-831-HOME (4663)
There is no Winter Session Housing fee for students who live in undergraduate residence halls and suites during the fall semester or will occupy such rooms during the spring semester. Conover and Graduate House residents pay the normal monthly rate. Students who want to live on-campus only for Winter Session need to complete the Winter Session Housing application found in the MyHousing portal. Their Winter Housing rate is $500.
Residents of halls or suites other than apartments must purchase one of the full-size meal plans (see Dining Plans).

Student Health Services

Laurel Hall, 302-831-2226,
All matriculated students, whether enrolled in winter/summer session or not, are eligible to use Student Health Services for primary health care, medical treatment and referral services. All services, including gynecological care, are available for appointments during business hours (8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.) when classes are in session. All full time students enrolled in Winter Session are required to pay a $66 Winter Session Health Fee, which allows use of all facilities and services of the Student Health Service during the Winter Session period. Part-time students and those not enrolled in Winter will need to either select the Winter Session Health Fee or pay fee for service charges for services received during special sessions.

Center for Counseling & Student Development

261 Perkins Student Center, 302-831-2141,
All matriculated students who pay the Student Health Fee have access to individual and group counseling services through CCSD, whose psychologists, psychiatrists and graduate-level trainees are trained to assist students in making realistic goals and working toward the resolution of any personal concerns they may be experiencing. Any student feeling anxious, depressed or overwhelmed can reach a counselor 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by calling the UD Helpline at 302-831-1001. CCSD staff are also available during business hours at the phone number and address above.

Career Services Center

401 Academy Street, 302-831-2392,
Visit our website and click on Handshake to make an appointment with a career consultant who can help you achieve your professional aspirations during your time at UD and beyond. Industry-specific coaching and career exploration are specialties of your Career Services Center, which also offers a variety of preparation programs during fall and spring semesters including career fairs, networking events, internship and job opportunities, on-campus interviews, and information sessions.

University Student Centers

Perkins Student Center and Trabant University Center, 302-831-1036,
Both University Student Centers facilities, Perkins Student Center at 325 Academy Street and Trabant University Center at 17 West Main Street, are open throughout the year. These centers serve a vibrant community of student groups, diverse programs and a variety of engagement opportunities. Current hours of operation can be found on our website, and a schedule of upcoming events in both facilities can be seen at Locker rentals, advertising, event and meeting space reservations and associated services are available year-round. During the fall and spring semesters, information desks sell snacks and personal items.
In Perkins, you'll find comfortable lounge and meeting spaces as well as the Scrounge eatery, Hen Zone game room, fraternity and sorority council offices, Counseling Center, lower level RSO community and Bacchus.
In Trabant, you'll find meeting spaces and lounges such as Daugherty Hall and Trabant Lounge as well as the Trabant Food Court, Multipurpose Rooms, PNC Bank, Vita Nova restaurant and Trabant Theater.
For more information about student life at UD, visit


Textbooks, both new and used, are not only available at the following bookstore, but are also now available for purchase via the web at

University Bookstore on Main Street, Newark
Regular Winter Session hours are:
        Monday - Saturday10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
SundayNoon - 6:00 p.m.
Extended hours:
Jan. 3-4 (Tues.-Wed.)9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Last day for textbook refunds (Newark): January 9 (with receipt).


Students parking on campus in Newark or at the Wilmington Campus must purchase University parking permits. The University reserves the right to remove and impound, at the owner's expense, any vehicle parked on campus without a current permit or otherwise in violation of the University parking regulations. The Campus Map and parking regulations are on the Web at Online registration begins January 1. Visit the web at: to register for a permit. Parking Services is open from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The cost of permits varies according to the parking area that is selected. Note that it is more cost effective to register on an annual basis than for individual months.
Red LotsGray Lots
Beginning January 1:
Academic Yr$87$207
Please bring personal identification with you to purchase the permit in person.

Transportation Services (Bus Services)

University Shuttle buses operate on their regular schedule starting the last week of August through the end of May on the Newark Campus and selected nearby areas. During Fall and Spring Semesters, weekday early morning service runs 4:50 am to 7:00 am; daily service runs from 7:00 am to 7:00pm; Evening service runs 7 days a week, 6:10pm to 11:00pm, and late night service until 2:00 am Sunday through Thursday, and until 4:00 am. Saturday and Sunday weekend service operates starting at 12:00 noon until 6:10pm, when evening continues. The Winter schedule (which is similar to Fall and Spring Semesters) will be posted in December at

Additionally, Transportation Services operates the City of Newark's free Unicity bus service.
The schedules for this service can be found at

The shuttle system offers real-time tracking of bus locations and arrival predictions, which can be accessed via computer or smart-phone at

ID cards

Students are required to carry their official University of Delaware ID Card. The ID Card Office is located in the Student Services Building, Lovett Avenue, Newark. Office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm. For your protection, it is necessary to present a picture ID for positive identification before obtaining/replacing a UD ID card. A fee may be charged for lost/stolen or damaged cards. Examples of privileges that MAY be accessed with the card are FLEX account, sporting events, library access, dining facilities, and student events. Access to privileges is determined by registration status and account balances.
Lost and stolen cards should be reported immediately by visiting
For any other ID card concerns, please visit us on the web at, or email us at

Math Placement Program

The Department of Mathematical Sciences requires all students to take a series of math placement assessments to accurately place you in a math course. Students are strongly urged to go to, choose the "Courses and Placement", and then "UD Math Placement" for a complete description of the placement process. This process could involve multiple testing and review of math procedures so plan accordingly. Each assessment will test algebra, precalculus, and trigonometry skills and is required for enrollment in MATH 010, 113, 114, 115, 117, 221 or 241. You must receive the appropriate math score on the assessment(s) in order to enroll in your desired math course.

You should begin this placement process at least a week (preferably longer) prior to your course registration meeting or deadlines. Most questions about the exam procedure and your math placement goal (determined by your major) can be found at the above URL.

Please take this placement process seriously! Read the web sites carefully and follow the directions. The results of the placement assessment(s) will have serious implications for your math course enrollment.

Foreign Language Placement

Students must register for the course into which they have been placed according to their high school foreign language background. If you have studied the same foreign language in high school for:
   Two years or less than 2-Years.....105
   Three years........................106
   Four or more years.................107
Students who have had at least four years of a foreign language may wish to take the exemption examination. Students who have questions about their placement, or who are seeking an exemption from the foreign language requirement, should contact Crista Johnson, the DLLC Placement Advisor at 320 Jastak-Burgess Hall, 831-4667.

Veterans Information

All of the University of Delaware undergraduate and graduate programs are approved by the Delaware State Approving Agency for training of veterans. In order to utilize Veterans Education Benefits, a student must be an admitted University of Delaware student.

If you are interested in applying for undergraduate admission to the University of Delaware, please visit our website: or contact the undergraduate admissions office at 302-831-8123

In order to receive VA benefits you must apply to the VA for approval to use your VA education benefits.
You can apply online at Once you apply online, your application for VA benefits will be electronically submitted to the VA for review. Although the application process takes approximately 20 minutes to complete online, the VA review process may take a few weeks before you receive a response from the VA. You should be able to check the status of your VA benefits by logging on to your eBenefit account at or by calling the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

Once you are approved for VA education benefits the VA will send you a copy of your letter of eligibly, a copy of which you will need to submit along with your Veteran Enrollment Data Form which can be found at and which is then emailed to

Once you have submitted these documents and you have classes scheduled for the upcoming term your VA certification will be submitted to the VA for payment. For additional information, see: and If you have any questions or concerns you can contact: Brooks Raup the Student Veterans Services Coordinator at 302-831-0552 or

Services for Students with Disabilities

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the University of Delaware is committed to providing equal access for students, employees and visitors with a disability. The Office of Disability Support Services (DSS) provides reasonable accommodations and ensures equal access to University programs and services. DSS works with individuals who have physical, medical, chronic health and psychological disabilities, as well as those who have learning disabilities, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and temporary injuries.

It is the individual's responsibility to inform the DSS office of the disability and need for accommodation. Reasonable accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis. Anyone requesting an accommodation from the University based on a disability should contact the DSS office directly.
Please contact a DSS professional at:
      (302) 831-4643 (Voice)
      (302) 831-4563 (TDD)
      (302) 831-3261 (FAX)
      or email or visit the website at:
The Office is located at 240 Academy Street, Alison Hall, Suite 130, Newark, DE 19716.

Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS)

OISS is the designated office at the University of Delaware that provides immigration advising and support services to more than 4,000 international students, scholars and family members from over 95 different countries. Throughout the year, the office also offers a series of workshops, sessions and programming events for the international community at UD. For more information, please visit the OISS website, which provides comprehensive information and resources on how to navigate issues that are most common to international students and scholars in the United States: The office is located at the Wright House at 26 East Main Street and can be reached by email at or by phone at (302) 831-2115.

Office of Academic Enrichment

The Office of Academic Enrichment offers activities that provide undergraduate students with academic assistance through individual and group tutoring, group study sessions, academic success and study skills workshops, and referral assistance throughout the year. These programs and activities are designed to help students maximize their academic performance as they pursue their degree programs. The Office of Academic Enrichment ( is located at 148-150 South College Ave., and can be contacted at (302) 831-4555.

University Writing Center

The writing center offers individualized consultations in writing to University students. Writers at any level and from any discipline may attend the center at no charge. Center consultants are prepared to discuss any aspect of writing. They can help writers decide on topics, how to organize information, revise a draft, document sources or self-edit. In addition, the center offers advice on prewriting strategies, essay exams, documentation styles, and thesis or dissertation writing.
The writing center has two locations: 016 Memorial Hall and 017 Morris Library. All appointments are made online by going to the center's website at


Facilities available in Carpenter Sports Building, located off of North College Avenue, include a comprehensive fitness center, two gymnasiums, squash and racquetball courts, an indoor pool, and a rockclimbing wall. For additional information, call 831-8600.
Regular hours are:
	Monday - Thursday	6:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
	Friday			6:00 a.m. -  9:00 p.m. 
	Saturday 	       10:00 a.m. -  9:00 p.m.
	Sunday		             Noon - 9:00 p.m. 
The indoor pool may be used: 
	Monday - Thursday	 11:15 - 1:15 p.m. 
				 7:00 - 9:30 p.m. 
	Friday			11:15 - 1:15 p.m. 
				 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. 
	Saturday 		12:00 - 4:00  p.m.
	Sunday			 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
				 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
There are satellite Fitness Center at Harrington is open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day. Call 831-7076 or see for specifics. The Independence Fitness Center is closed during Winter Session.
Winter programs include a full selection of fitness classes and intramural sports. Call 831-8600, visit or visit Carpenter Sports Building to learn more about these programs.
For Ice Arena public skating and skate rental information call 831-2868.

Library, Museums and Press

The Library, Museums and Press (the Library) provide access to electronic resources 24 hours a day via Library users may visit the hours website or call 302-831-BOOK(2665) for Library hours. The Library homepage is the place to begin using the Library online. It provides links to information and resources, including access to: Using DELCAT Discovery, you may limit searches to only those items physically held by the Library or a search can be done of the entire WorldCat database that encompasses over 380 million bibliographic records in libraries throughout the world.

The Library provides an Article DELivery Service, which sends electronic copies of articles and book chapters from materials available in the Library print and microform collections to University of Delaware faculty, students and staff. Items not held by the Library can be requested from other libraries via interlibrary loan.

The most valuable resource at the Library is the staff. Please ask staff at any service desk if you have questions about the Library or to help you find Library resources.
Call: 302-831-2965
Text: 302-360-8747

The University of Delaware Library includes the Hugh M. Morris Library, the main library; the branch libraries in Newark: the Chemistry Library and the Physics Library; and the Marine Studies Library, located in Lewes, Delaware. During the academic year, exhibitions can be viewed in four campus venues: the Special Collections Gallery in Morris Library, Old College Gallery, Mechanical Hall Gallery and the Mineralogical Museum in Penny Hall. All exhibitions and accompanying programs are offered to the UD community and general public without charge.

The University of Delaware Library is a depository library for U.S. government publications; a patent depository for U.S. patents; and a repository for state of Delaware publications.

The Library has an Institutional Repository, which uses open source software to capture, store, index, preserve and redistribute the intellectual output of the University of Delaware community in digital form.

The Morris Library provides seating for 1,500+ people in a variety of individual and collaborative spaces, including 30+ reservable group study rooms; graduate carrels, which UD graduate students may reserve; a Graduate Student Research Room; the Multimedia Writing Center, where one may schedule sessions with writing tutors or Oral Communications Fellows; and the group links tables, where students in a group can easily collaborate on digital projects. There is wireless access throughout the public areas, access to electric outlets and 245+ computers, scanners and copiers. Bleecker Street cafe?, which is operated by the UD Dining Services, is located in the Commons just inside the Morris Library entrance.

Special Collections and Museums has a wide-ranging and interdisciplinary collection encompassing books, manuscripts, art, archival materials, minerals and much more. Subject strengths of Special Collections include history, Delawareana, science and technology, art and literature; political papers, family papers and ships' logs. The Mark Samuels Lasner Collection greatly enhances the collection's strengths in British Literature of the 19th and early 20th century. American art of the 20th century (especially prints, photographs and work by African American artists), European prints, Inuit art, Pre-Columbian art and minerals are among the strengths of the Museums' collections.

For information about Special Collections and Museums, please visit: and

The Student Multimedia Design Center on the lower level is designed to meet the current and future needs of the large number of classes which involve creation of multimedia projects and presentations as a course requirement. The Center offers the space, computer hardware and software, video production equipment for loan and expertise for all steps of multimedia creation. The Student Multimedia Design Center with its focus on multimedia creation is the largest such facility in an academic research library in the nation.

 Winter Session home page
Please direct questions to Allan Fanjoy < >
URL of this document:
Last modified: Friday, 20-Oct-2017 12:48:58 EDT