Graduate Program in Water Science and Policy

Admission Requirements

Deadlines | Transfers | Financial Aid | Office Space

To be admitted to the Water Science & Policy Program you should meet the following requirements:

  • A University of Delaware Graduate Studies Application. In the application form, please indicate clearly whether you are applying for an MS or Ph.D. program. For the Ph.D., select either the Water Science or Water Policy concentration. You may apply to the program prior to arranging for a faculty adviser; however, you must have the agreement of a program faculty member to serve as your adviser for admission to the program.
  • Personal Statement. Please discuss the following questions in your statement:
    • What are your specific research and educational goals?
    • What are you're long-term professional goals?
    • How do you see this program assisting you with achieving your objectives?
    • What is the name of the faculty member (affiliated with the program) who has agreed to be your adviser, if known?
  • Graduate Record Examination Scores.A minimum of 50 percentile in verbal and quantitative sections is desirable. Subject GRE scores are not required.
  • Transcripts. Submit official, up-to-date transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate programs. A minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 is required in your major.
  • Letters of Recommendation. Submit three letters of recommendation from individuals who are knowledgeable about your academic preparation and potential ability as a graduate student.
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language. This is required of all international students. TOEFL scores must be less than two years old and meet minimums of 550 on the paper test, 213 on the computer test, or 79 on an Internet-based test.

Admission to graduate programs is competitive. Meeting the stated requirements is not a guarantee of admission, nor does failure to meet all of the requirement preclude you from admission if you offer other appropriate strengths.

Applicants for the Ph.D. programs will typically have a masterÔ€™s degree in a related field. Direct admission to the Ph.D. program immediately after a B.S. degree will only be considered for exceptional candidates as determined by the Program Committee and will still need to complete all requirements associated with the MS program prior to starting the Ph.D. curriculum.


Change of Classification and Transfer Students

If you are currently matriculated in another degree program and are thinking about a transferring to the Water Science & Policy program, please complete a Change of Classification form. The Program Committee will evaluate change in classification and transfer requests on a case-by-case basis.


Application Deadlines

Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis as and when applications are complete. The application deadlines are

  • Fall semester: July 1 (regular application); February 1 (financial aid)
  • Spring semester: February 1 (regular application)


Financial Aid

Admission to the program does not automatically guarantee that you will receive financial aid. You can seek opportunities for aid, such as fellowships or scholarships from sources both inside and outside the University. Check with your potential adviser and the Graduate & Professional Education website for the most current opportunities.

Financial aid is awarded on a competitive basis from the pool of admitted applicants. Preference for stipends will be given to students in the Ph.D. program. You may apply for a graduate assistantship, which take one of two forms:

Research Assistantships (RAs) are generally funded by research grants and contracts provided by external funding agencies. Students may be supported as an RA through their faculty adviserÔ€™s research funds after their first year. A research assistantship provides full tuition and a stipend. Your adviser is responsible for defining your responsibilities and evaluating your performance. The amount of service or research may vary, but is usually about 20 hours per week on average.

Teaching Assistantships (TAs) are offered for graduate students who perform teaching and other instructional activities and are awarded by the primary adviser and his or her department. The amount of service is generally about 20 hours per week. A teaching assistantship provides full tuition and a stipend.


Office Space

Your office and work space will be determined by your adviser. In most situations, the student will be housed in the department of the adviser.



  • University of Delaware   •   Newark, DE 19716   •   USA
    Phone: (302) 831-2531   •   © 2011