University of Delaware

Summer Sessions (2016) General Information

Overview of Summer Sessions

Summer Sessions at the University consists of two sessions.
The First Session includes classes meeting in the first 5-week period (June 6 - July 9) and 7 1/2-week classes (June 6 - July 28).
The Second Session is another 5-week period (July 11 - August 12).
Five-week three credit courses generally meet Monday through Friday for one and one-half hours per meeting; 7 1/2-week three credit courses typically meet two nights per week for three hours per meeting. Some online courses are available in each session. Most are in the First Session 7-1/2 week period.

Anyone may participate in Summer Sessions. Registration in Summer Sessions neither requires nor implies admission to the University of Delaware. There are some courses which are designed for special student populations. Such courses may have enrollment restrictions or give preference to certain registrants. Students are advised to read the notes in the course listing section of this site, and to register early since courses are assigned on a first-come first-served basis subject to registration restrictions.

This booklet contains certain information which relates only to the Summer Sessions. Additional information about the University of Delaware can be found in the current editions of the University Catalog, and the Student Guide to University Policies. The University reserves the right to withdraw any course, to limit enrollment, or to change instructors, class meeting times, or locations.

ID Cards

Students are required to carry their official University of Delaware ID Card. The ID Card Office is located in the Student Services Building, Lovett Avenue, Newark. Office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm. For your protection, it is necessary to present a picture ID for positive identification before obtaining/replacing a UD ID card. A fee is charged for replacement cards. Examples of privileges that MAY be accessed with the card are: FLEX account, checking/debit account through PNC Bank, sporting events, the library, and dining facilities. Access to privileges is determined by registration status and account balances. Lost and stolen cards should be reported immediately by calling (302) 831-2273.

Residence Halls

Summer Session housing is available exclusively to upper-division matriculated University of Delaware students who are registered for a summer course. Residence Life & Housing residential staff live on the premises and are available to provide assistance to students while living on campus.

Summer Session students are housed in suite-style rooms (two bedrooms divided by a shared bath) in Ray Street. There are a very limited number of single-room options available. Single rooms will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. If you require a single room due to medical, psychological, or disability needs, please complete the form and indicate that your request is for summer housing. The form is found via our website at If you have other extenuating circumstances, please send an e-mail message to explaining your situation.

Room Rates: (per person)5-week7.5-week
Suite Multiple$1,095$1,644
Suite Single (limited availability)$1,405$2,107

Upper-division UD students who wish to live on campus for summer session should submit an application for housing via the portal accessible from the Residence Life & Housing website at Students who are doing an internship, attending a conference, or working for a UD department should contact Conference Services at 302-831-8590 for information on other housing options.

All summer session students living in the residence hall during any part of or all of the summer are required to buy a dining plan. See the information on dining plans here.

Please visit the Residence Life & Housing website at for complete details on Summer Housing, including billing and assignment information.

Meal Plans

Meal plans offer you value, variety, and versatility. The Summer Session plans are designed to support your academic schedule and personal living and eating styles. Each plan contains a designated number of all-you-care-to-eat Meals and/or Points. Meals will be served in the Pencader dining hall during Summer Sessions. Points are units of purchasing power that give you the convenience to buy food, snacks, and groceries from any UD Dining location without cash.

Students who reside in on-campus housing for any part of the Summer Sessions are required to purchase a meal plan for the period of their room contract. Meal plan selections can be made at:

Students who reside in Christiana Towers Apartments, Graduate Student and Family Housing or who live off campus may choose any of the plans offered; but that choice is optional.

Unused Point balances from the Summer Sessions may be carried semester to semester, through the following spring. All remaining Points are forfeited at the end of May.

Meal plans offered are:

12 Weekly Meals + $ 84 in points = $795
52 Block Meals + $109 in points = $795
Unlimited Meals + $ 25 in points = $805
12 Weekly Meals + $130 in points = $1,245
81 Block Meals + $170 in points = $1,246
Unlimited Meals + $ 38 in points = $1,260
Christiana Towers Apartments, Graduate Student and Family Housing, or students living off-campus may opt for an All Points plan starting at $50.

Additional Points for any plan may be purchased at or through a cash deposit at one of five Value Transfer Stations on campus (located in the Trabant University Center, Perkins Student Center, Christiana Commons, and Morris Library Lower Level); or by making a minimum $25 deposit at Cashiers or the outside drop slot at the Student Services Building.

Students not required to purchase a meal plan may opt to deposit funds to their FLEX prepaid spending account instead of a meal or points plan. The FLEX account may be used at all dining locations as well as for a variety of campus services. FLEX balances do not expire until the account is closed.

For more information about your meal plan, you may visit our Web site at
or contact Dining Services, 153 Perkins Student Center, Newark, DE 19716
e-mail: dining
(302) 831-6761


Textbooks, new, used, rentals and digital versions are not only available at the University Bookstore, but are also now available for purchase via the web at: Newark - available at the University Bookstore on Main Street. Regular Summer Session hours beginning Tuesday May 31 are:
Monday - Saturday10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Sunday Noon. - 6:00 p.m.
Extended hours:
June 6-7 (Mon.-Tues)
9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Last day for textbook refunds with receipt (Newark):
      First Session ( 5 and 7 ½ weeks): June 11
      Second (5-week) Session: July 16

Wilmington, Dover and other locations: Books are available for purchase through our website at:

Motor Vehicles

All motor vehicles, including mopeds, parked on University property must either display a permit or pay at meters or pay-to-park lots. To purchase a permit, please go to For complete rules, regulations, parking map and pricing regarding parking on campus, please go to

Commuters may purchase a gray or red permit during the summer. Students living in residence halls may only purchase a gray permit. Students who have value left on a red permit and wish to upgrade to gray during the summer, should visit Parking Services and bring their current permit. Upgrades cannot be done online. It is more cost effective to either go online or visit Parking Services beginning in June for a summer permit as the prices drop the 1st of each month.

Math Placement Exam

The Department of Mathematical Sciences requires all students to take a series of math placement assessments to accurately place you in a math course. Students are strongly urged to go to and choose the "Courses and Placement" option for a complete description of the placement process. This process could involve multiple testing and review of math procedures so plan accordingly. Each assessment will test algebra, precalculus and trigonometry skills and is required for enrollment in MATH 010, 113, 114, 115, 117, 221 or 241. You must receive the appropriate math score on the assessment(s) in order to enroll in your desired math course.

You should begin this placement process at least a week (preferably longer) prior to your course registration meeting or deadlines. Most questions about the exam procedure and your math placement goal (determined by your major) can be found at the above URL.

Please take this placement process seriously! Read the web sites carefully and follow the directions. The results of the placement assessment(s) will have serious constraints on your math course enrollment.

Foreign Language Placement

Students must register for the course into which they have been placed according to their high school background. If you have studied the same foreign language in high school for:
     two years or less than two years. . . .105
     three years . . . . . . . . . . . . . .106
     four years or more. . . . . . . . . . .107
Students who have had at least four years of a foreign language may wish to take the exemption examination. Students who have questions about their placement, or who are seeking an exemption from the foreign language requirement should contact Crista Johnson, the DLLC Placement Advisor, at 320 Jastak-Burgess Hall (831-4667).

Veterans Information

All of the University of Delaware undergraduate and graduate programs are approved by the Delaware State Approving Agency for training of veterans. In order to utilize Veterans Education Benefits, a student must be an admitted University of Delaware student.

If you are interested in applying for undergraduate admission to the University of Delaware, please visit our website: or contact the undergraduate admissions office at 302-831-8123

If you are already a UD student and feel that you may be eligible to receive Veteran's Education Benefits, please contact Veterans Affairs at or call 1-800-GIBILL-1. The University's Registrar's Office cannot apply for benefits on behalf of a student.

To receive benefits, you must apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Affairs determines the amount of benefits a student can receive, therefore, we cannot estimate benefit amounts. Please contact Veterans Affairs at or call 1-888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL) if you are in need of VA advisement or for additional information. The submission of electronic applications using their VONAPP process is strongly encouraged.

The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility letter, please submit a copy of the letter, and the completed UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form to UD's Veterans Services Office or electronically to Once all of the required documents are received, UD's VA Certifying Official will electronically submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please refer to and or contact:

Office of the University Registrar
Attn: Veterans Services
University Visitors Center
210 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19716
PH: 302-831-1554
FAX: 302-831-3005

Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS)

OISS is the designated office at the University of Delaware that provides immigration advising and support services to more than 4,000 international students, scholars and family members from over 95 different countries. Throughout the year, the office also offers a series of workshops, sessions and programming events for the international community a UD. For more information, please visit the OISS website, which provides comprehensive information and resources on how to navigate issues that are most common to international students and scholars in the United States: The office is located at the Wright House at 44 Kent Way and can be reached by email at or by phone at (302) 831-2115.

Office of Academic Enrichment

The Office of Academic Enrichment offers activities that provide undergraduate students with academic assistance through individual and group tutoring, group study sessions, academic success and study skills workshops, and referral assistance throughout the year. These programs and activities are designed to help students maximize their academic performance as they pursue their degree programs. The Office of Academic Enrichment ( is located at 148-150 South College Ave., and can be contacted at (302) 831-4555.

Services for Students with Disabilities

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the University of Delaware is committed to providing equal access for students, employees and visitors with a disability. The Office of Disabilities Support Services (DSS) provides reasonable accommodations and ensures equal access to University programs and services. The DSS office works with individuals who have physical, medical, psychological disabilities, as well as, learning disabilities and ADHD.

It is the individual's responsibility to inform the DSS office of the disability and need for accommodation. Eligibility for reasonable accommodations is determined on a case-by-case basis utilizing established documentation guidelines. Anyone requesting an accommodation from the University based on a disability should contact the DSS office directly. Please contact a DSS professional at
      (302) 831-4643 (Voice)
      (302) 831-4563 (TDD)
      (302) 831-3261 (FAX)
      or email
The office is located at 240 Academy Street, Suite 130,
Alison Hall, Newark, DE 19716.

Recreation Services

Carpenter Sports Building, located off of North College Avenue, is the main recreational facility on campus. Facilities include a student fitness center, employee fitness center, three multi-purpose gymnasia, an indoor rock-climbing gym, an 8-lane indoor pool, squash, racquetball and turf fields. Squash and racquetball courts may be reserved one day in advance by calling 831-8600.
Hours of operation are:
Building and Employee Fitness Center:
 Mon-Thurs6 am - 8 pm
 Friday6 am - 6 pm
 Saturday10 am - 2 pm
Student Fitness Center:
 Mon-Thurs6 am - 8 pm
 Friday6 am - 6 pm
 Saturday10 am - 3 pm
Lap & Recreational Swim (Indoor Pool):
 Mon-Fri11:15 am - 1:15 pm

Students who are not paying the Comprehensive Fee must pay an additional $15 fee if they desire to use those facilities during the summer. That optional fee can be paid at the Carpenter Sports Building.

The Outdoor Pool is available to Summer Session students at no charge by presenting their ID card. Others who are not currently enrolled for Summer classes can also use the outdoor pool for a daily rate of $5. UD students are allowed to bring a guest to the outdoor pool at a daily rate of $5 per day. Call 831-6352 for additional information.

Summer Session students may use the Rust Ice Arena during the Public Skating sessions by presenting their ID card. If not enrolled in classes, the rate is $8. Skate rental is $4.00 for everyone. For additional information and for Public Skating hours, call 831-2868.

Career Services Center

The Career Services Center provides programs and services designed to assist students in gaining career experience and in developing the skills and knowledge needed to obtain full-time employment and internships. Career Services provides career counseling, resume assistance, workshops, interviews, career fairs, and a host of resources for finding part-time jobs, volunteer and various other types of opportunities.

Career workshops are offered regularly to develop resume writing skills, interviewing techniques and job search strategies. Special resource material and self-instructional media provide further assistance in these areas. Appointments with Career Consultants are available year-round. Visit the Career Services website to log into Blue Hen Careers and make an appointment.

As the Campus Interview Program is not active during Summer Session, students are encouraged to research organizations and prepare for upcoming on-campus and off-campus interviews. All programs and services are available through Career Services at 401 Academy Street. Hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. For more information, visit the Career Services Center website:

The University Student Centers

Information about either the Trabant University Center or the Perkins Student Center is available by calling the Office of the Executive Director at 831-1036 or at

John H. Perkins Student Center
The Perkins Student Center is located on Academy Street in the East Campus area and houses the Student Involvement Office with over 400 registered student organizations, Student Media featuring WVUD and THE REVIEW, the Hen Zone recreational area, Counseling and Student Development Office, Parking Services, and the Scrounge Food Court. Many student organizations are housed in the student organization office community from which they develop and sponsor many diversity programs and activities. A beautiful Student Lounge, Concourse and Information Desk with miscellaneous snack and personal items for sale, quiet study areas, a variety of meeting spaces and the Bacchus venue provide student engagement opportunities. Music, theater, novelties, vendors and coffee houses are regularly scheduled in the Perkins Student Center.

E. Arthur Trabant University Center
The Trabant University Center is located on West Main Street and houses the Event Services Office and the Executive Director's Office. The Center offers a diverse student program that includes concerts, speakers, movies, the Blue Hen Leadership Program, New Student Orientation Office, and Fraternity and Sorority Life. The Trabant Lounge is a convenient gathering place to meet friends, study, or relax as is Daugherty Hall, a large, beautiful and quiet study area. Trabant also offers an Information Desk with miscellaneous snack and personal items for sale, a large Food Court, PNC banking services, UD Box Office, and Vita Nova, the Hotel Restaurant and Institutional Management student-operated restaurant. Students enjoy the movie-theater, the large multi-purpose rooms and the variety of meeting and program spaces for their organizational activities and special interests.

Student Health Service (SHS)

The SHS is located in Laurel Hall on the main campus South Green area, at the corner of South College Avenue and East Park Place. All matriculated students, whether enrolled in the Summer Sessions or not, are eligible for services. The SHS is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (physician appointments until 4:30 p.m.). All services, including gynecologic, are available on an appointment basis. Charges are made for services provided according to a fee schedule. Included in that schedule is an optional Summer Session charge which allows use of most SHS services during the summer period for an estimated single cost of $88, subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.

Matriculated students in summer sessions are also eligible to enroll in a Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan which provides medical insurance coverage for the period June 1 through August 14. Additional information can be obtained from the SHS at (302) 831-2226.


The services of the Center for Counseling and Student Development include individual counseling, group counseling, career development programs, student development programming, and consultations with University groups and individuals. These services are available to all matriculated students who pay the Student Health Fee. The Center is staffed by psychologists, psychiatrists and graduate-level trainees who are trained to assist college students in achieving their full academic potential, make realistic career and educational plans, and work toward resolution of personal concerns. At the Center, students may discuss freely, in a confidential and professional setting, any concerns they may be experiencing. The Center also serves as a referral agency by helping students who need specialized assistance to locate appropriate campus and off-campus resources. To make an appointment, call (302) 831-2141 or come to Room 261 Perkins Student Center.

University Writing Center

The Writing Center offers individualized consultations in writing to University students. Writers at any level and from any discipline may attend the Center at no charge. Center consultants are prepared to discuss any aspect of writing. They can help writers decide on topics, how to organize information, revise a draft, document sources or self-edit. In addition, the Center offers advice on prewriting strategies, essay exams, documentation styles, and thesis or dissertation writing.

The Center's summer hours are held in the Morris Library next to the Student Multimedia Center. All appointments are made online by going to the center's Web site at


The University of Delaware Library includes the Hugh M. Morris Library, the main library; two branch libraries located on the Newark campus, the Chemistry Library and the Physics Library; and a third branch library, the Marine Studies Library, located in Lewes, Delaware.

The collections of the University of Delaware Library parallel the academic interests of the University of Delaware and are broadly based and comprehensive. The collections include over 2,800,000 books and bound periodicals plus over 440,000 electronic books and over 76,000 electronic journals. Books, periodicals, electronic resources, databases, electronic books, electronic journals, microforms, government publications, maps, manuscripts, media, political papers especially those of Delaware public officials, and access to information via the Internet provide a major academic resource for the University of Delaware, the surrounding community, the state of Delaware and the nation. The University of Delaware Library is a depository library for U.S. government publications; a patent depository for U.S. patents; and a repository for state of Delaware publications. Library staff members provide a wide range of in-person, online and telephone services including reference, circulation, interlibrary loan, instructional programs, assistance to users working on multimedia projects and assistance to users with disabilities.

The University of Delaware Library is an innovator in identifying, acquiring and making accessible a broad range of electronic library resources. The University of Delaware Library constantly updates the technology and adds resources for students, faculty and staff to provide the most current and convenient information resources and services to its users.

Memberships of the University of Delaware Library include the Association of Research Libraries, Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, OCLC (Online Computer Library Center), including the OCLC Research Library Partnership, LYRASIS, the NorthEast Research Libraries Consortium (NERL), HathiTrust, CLIR (Council on Library and Information Resources) and SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition). The University of Delaware Library is also a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) which promotes health information, education and/or access in the Mid-Atlantic Region which includes Delaware, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. To enhance interlibrary loan service, the Library is also a member of RapidILL.

The University of Delaware Library provides access to electronic resources 24 hours a day via the Library web []. Most electronic resources are licensed so remote access is available only to students, faculty and staff of the University of Delaware. Library users may call 302-831-BOOK/ 302-831-2665 for hours of the Morris Library and the branch libraries or check the Library web for hours. The Morris Library is open over 110 hours a week. Hours during holidays and intersessions vary. Regular semester hours for the Morris Library and more are available directly at [].

The web [] of the University of Delaware Library is accessible globally. The Library web is the place to begin using the Library online and it provides thousands of links to all types of information including access to DELCAT Discovery, databases, electronic journals and newspapers, electronic books, Research Guides, finding aids for Special Collections and many other types of information and services.

DELCAT Discovery [] is an online, cloud-based service that provides information about and access to the physical and electronic holdings of the University of Delaware Library. (It supersedes the online catalog DELCAT.) DELCAT Discovery was implemented in mid-2014 and includes information about the Library collection and also provides links to electronic journals, electronic books and other resources. A user can limit searches to only those items physically held by the Library or a search can be done of the entire WorldCat database which represents library throughout the world. Items held by the University of Delaware Library appear at or near the top of the results display. Items not held by the Library can be requested via the interlibrary loan link that automatically generates an interlibrary loan request.

More than 370 licensed databases are provided by the University of Delaware Library for use by students, faculty and staff. Each database allows searching of many thousands of publications at once. Many databases are general in nature and cover virtually all disciplines, and others are specific subject-oriented. Some databases are "full text" and include entire articles and some databases include citations and summaries. The Library web [] provides a direct link to "Databases." Remote access to licensed databases is available only to University of Delaware students, faculty and staff.

The University of Delaware Library subscribes (in addition to over 1,500 print journals and newspapers) to over 76,000 electronic journals which cover all disciplines and are licensed for use by University of Delaware students, faculty and staff. Entire articles from the electronic journals are available online to search, read and print. The Library collection includes over 440,000 electronic books. The Library web [] provides a link to electronic journals and electronic books.

Numerous electronic services are offered by the University of Delaware Library. Examples of electronic services are:

Library electronic services are available via the Library web or directly at [].

The University of Delaware Library has an Institutional Repository called "UDSpace" [] which uses open source software to capture, store, index, preserve and redistribute the intellectual output of the University of Delaware original research of faculty and staff in digital form including technical reports, scholarly articles, working papers, conference papers, images and more. The name was formerly called DSpace.

The Morris Library provides: seating for more than 2,500 people; wireless access throughout the public areas of the Morris Library with plentiful access to electric outlets for laptops and other devices; more than 200 computer workstations accessible to users; self-service photocopiers; microform reader/printers including a digital microform workstation; large reading rooms; small research studies which faculty may reserve; small graduate carrels which graduate students may reserve; a computing site; a GIS workstation; special equipment and areas to assist users with disabilities; an instructional media area and viewing room; small group study rooms for use by students in groups which may be reserved; a handsome Special Collections area including an exhibition gallery and a reading room with a controlled environmental system for rare materials; the Student Multimedia Design Center with 70 workstations and 6 studios and many other areas and services. Bleecker Street café, which is operated by the University of Delaware Dining Services, is located in the Commons just inside the Morris Library main entrance and on the right. The Reading Room on the first floor of the Morris Library was recently refurbished. The new Graduate Student Research Room, which has card access for UD graduate students, is a quiet space located inside the Reading Room.

The Student Multimedia Design Center [] is designed to meet the current and future needs of the large number of classes which involve creation of multimedia projects and presentations as a course requirement. The Center offers the space, software, equipment and expertise for all steps of multimedia creation and for practicing presentations. The Student Multimedia Design Center with its focus on multimedia creation is the largest such facility in an academic research library in the nation.

The University of Delaware Library administers a state-supported program called UDLib/SEARCH which provides access via the web to online periodicals and databases to all K-12 public schools in Delaware, and including training for teachers, librarians and technical support. More information about UDLib/SEARCH is available at []. Information for teachers and schools who wish to bring student groups to the Library is available online at [].

Founded in 1958, the University of Delaware Library Associates, the "friends group" of the University of Delaware Library, works to enrich the research collections of the University of Delaware Library through gifts from individuals, funds raised by programs and donations of significant books. New members are actively solicited for membership with an annual minimum fee of $50 per year. The membership brochure may be accessed online at [] or a printed brochure may be requested by sending an email message to [] or by calling 302-831-2231.

University of Delaware Home Page
Summer Session home page
Please direct questions to Allan Fanjoy <>
URL of this document:
Last modified: Friday, 18-Mar-2016 14:01:12 EDT