IT backup service
IT provides data and email backup and recovery services for centrally managed systems and servers. Backup and recovery services are also offered for college- and department-owned servers.
The service is limited to University servers that meet certain eligibility requirements. Backup services for desktop systems are not provided centrally.
The IT backup service uses a flat fee tiered pricing system:
- $100 annually for up to 250GB
- $50 annually for each additional tier of up to 250GB.
Charges will be adjusted annually based on average usage.
- Backing up 190GB: $100 annually (only using a portion of the first 250GB tier)
- Backing up 410GB: $150 annually ($100 for the first 250GB tier; $50 for the 160GB used in the second 250GB tier)
- Backing up 750GB: $200 annually ($100 for the first 250GB tier; $50 each for the second and third 250GB tiers).
- Real-time data recovery capabilities.
- Support for many popular operating systems.
- Full backups are performed one weekend per month.
- Level 1 incremental backups are performed all other weekends each month.
- Incremental backups are performed daily.
- Backups will begin each day at a mutually agreeable time.
- Data backups are retained for three months using a 90-day rolling window.
- Email server backups are retained for two weeks.
- Backup sets are stored on site or on "nearline" disk or tape and are always available for recovery operations by server administrators.
- Daily status messages will be sent. Backup failures require customer follow-up with IT.
Using the service
To request use of the IT backup service, a server administrator should submit a Help Request to the IT Support Center. The following information is required in the request for each server:
- Operating system
- Processor type
- Processor architecture (i.e., 32-bit or 64-bit)
- IP address
- Fully qualified domain name
- Directory paths to be backed up (examples: C:\, F:\Backups, or /, /opt, /home, etc.)
- Approximate time of day the daily backups should start
- Contact information for the server's administrator:
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Department/college name
- Billing information
- Purpose code
- Approver name
- Approver email address