About George Read, James Smith and Thomas McKean
These buildings, located on Laird Campus, are a ten-minute walk from Main Street and the Trabant University Center, and are located next to Pencader Dining Hall. Shuttle buses run to Laird Campus every five to fifteen minutes, providing residents with easy access to the rest of campus.
Residents live in two-room suites with a connecting bath. Each suite has adjustable heat and air conditioning controls.
- This first-year complex has suite-style rooms with connecting bathrooms.
- Spacious lounges are available on each floor for group studying, programming and socializing. Most lounges in the complex have large white boards that help students complete group projects and study together as a community.
- The complex lounges in George Read North and James Smith each have a large projector screen for watching sporting events, movies, playing video games and can be used for any other programming activities that the students can plan for the community.
- Quiet study lounges are available on the main floor of each building.
- Pencader Dining Hall is just a minute's walk for convenient dining during breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Night on the North: This open-air celebration on the Laird Turf features novelty activities, carnival treats, music and most importantly, fun! The Complex Community Councils collaborate to bring this year-end party to all Laird Campus residents.
George Read, James Smith and Thomas McKean Floor Plans
Get dimensions of your George Read room, a floorplan with possible layout and a list of featured building amenities:
Get dimensions of your James Smith or Thomas McKean room, a floorplan with possible layout and a list of featured building amenities (currently listed with Independence East & West):
- Laird Turf is available for recreational use by all students for playing sports, relaxing and more!
- Volleyball and basketball courts are located on Laird Campus for all students to use!
- 5-10-minute walk to the Carpenter Sports Building for student recreational facilities or to nature trails and less than a 15-minute walk to Main Street in Downtown Newark
- UD Shuttle Buses run regularly from Laird Campus to all other parts of campus to conveniently get you to class.
- Pencader Dining Hall
- P.O.D. Market
Three buildings on Laird campus were named in honor of the three UD graduates who signed the Declaration of Independence: Thomas McKean, James Smith, and George Read. McKean, Smith and Read were all lawyers and politicians. Thomas McKean also served as President of Delaware, Chief Justice of Pennsylvania and Governor of Pennsylvania. James Smith served in the Continental Congress. George Read also served in the Continental Congress, as a U.S. Senator from Delaware, as well as Chief Justice of Delaware.