University of Delaware

Office of the University Registrar

gpa calculator academic catalog
Upcoming Events

Newly Admitted and Transfer Students -
Transfer Credit from International Institutions

Complete the steps below if you:

Have international coursework taken before being admitted to UD and are:

  • - a newly admitted student or transfer student, soon to become a UD undergraduate
  • - a current ELI student taking classes at UD as part of AT or CAP

Note: If you are currently a matriculated undergrad, follow these separate instructions to transfer coursework from a U.S. institution or an international institution.

Note: If you are currently applying to UD, wait until after admission to complete the process below.

Important Information:

  1. The student (not a family member) must complete all transfer credit paperwork.
  2. UD does not charge a fee to transfer courses taken before admission to UD.

Procedure for Transferring International Courses

Click each step below for detailed instructions. Or download all steps on this printable PDF.

Step 1
Credential/transcript review. UD confirms if we will accept transfer credit from a specific institution.
Step 2
UD confirms which courses it will accept, and how the courses will initially transfer.
Step 3
Preliminary course evaluation. Courses will likely post as elective credit.
Step 4
If you would like courses reevaluated for UD equivalents, prepare course paperwork & deliver to Registrar’s Office.
Step 5
Departments review course descriptions/syllabi and approve equivalencies. This can take 1-2 weeks.
Step 6
When department decisions arrive, Registrar’s office will update your record. This can take 1 week. Check UDSIS to confirm that your updates have posted; meet with your advisor to discuss.

Questions or concerns? Contact the Registrar’s Office at Additional information can be found in the Undergraduate Programs section of the Catalog.

Step 1 - Institution review, credential evaluation and original transcripts:

  1. UD only accepts coursework from international institutions which are degree-granting and recognized by their ministries of education. To start our review, we require a course-by-course credential evaluation from WES.
  2. Complete a WES course-by-course credential evaluation for your international coursework.
    • Credential evaluations by other companies are not accepted, with one exception:
    • If you have an AACRAO/IEW evaluation from before 8/15/2016, UD will accept this instead of WES.
  3. If either of the following apply, we also need an official, original transcript:
    • Your official transcript is not included with your credential evaluation
    • You took coursework after requesting your credential evaluation
  4. If your institution will be sending UD an official transcript:
    • Paper transcripts should be sent to this address:
         Office of Undergraduate Admissions
         Univ. of Delaware
         210 S. College Avenue
         Newark, DE 19716
    • Electronic transcripts should be password protected, emailed from the institution directly to Electronic transcripts forwarded from the student will not be accepted.
    • If the original transcript is not in English, also provide a certified literal English translation.
    • If the institution sends a paper transcript directly to you, do NOT open it. Bring the original sealed envelope to the Registrar's Office at 210 S. College Ave. UD will not accept transcripts that have been opened.

Step 2 - UD confirms which courses it will accept, and how they will initially transfer.

  1. UD accepts courses which are:
    • Offered as part of a degree program at the institution (i.e. not “certificate” courses)
    • At a comparable level to courses taught at UD
  2. UD does not award credit for:
    • Pass/fail courses, or courses with a grade below UD’s "C"(2.0)
    • Course content not aligning with UD’s curriculum, including remedial coursework, religious instruction, English language instruction, CLEP or other life experience courses.
  3. UD uses its own transfer and conversion policies. WES, the international university, or another U.S. university may recommend different conversions. If there is a difference, UD’s policies prevail.

Step 3 - UD does a preliminary course evaluation and posts credits.

  1. You can view your preliminary course evaluation through your My Blue Hen Home student portal.
  2. In many cases, courses initially post as elective credit (courses ending with #66T). Elective credits count toward the total number of credits needed to complete your degree.
  3. If you receive credit as UNIV 166T, the coursework is not likely within a specific academic department at UD.
  4. Depending on the content, your elective coursework may have a specific equivalent at UD. The UD equivalent may fulfill specific requirements for your major.
  5. To have your elective (#66T) courses reevaluated for UD equivalents, do Steps 4-6.

Step 4 - Prepare course paperwork & deliver it to Registrar’s Office for initial review.

  1. Collect official course descriptions or syllabi from the institution (web links, PDFs, printed copies).
    • The institution should be clearly identifiable on all documentation.
    • Descriptions or syllabi should be for the term when you took the course.
  2. Original course materials from the institution should be in English (or with a certified literal English translation).
    • Translations must be official (done by the institution or a professional translator). They may not be done by you, a family member, or a friend.
  3. Course materials should include:
    • Course number, title, number of credits (or whatever the school uses to identify the course).
    • A thorough description of topics or areas covered (as many details as possible).
    • If science lab/lectures are separated, provide information for both courses.
  4. Email or deliver your course paperwork to the Registrar's Office at 210 S. College Ave. for initial review.

Step 5 - Departmental course review (this process takes time):

  1. For ENGL 110 only: Follow these specific ENGL 110 Transfer / Exemption Instructions. Please note the English Department’s policy regarding dual enrollment if you completed an English composition course while a high school student.
  2. For all other courses: Email your course descriptions/syllabi to the departmental contact for review. For example, if you took courses in both History and Chemistry, History courses are reviewed by the HIST department, and Chemistry courses by CHEM.
  3. The departmental contact may email you to request more information. When responding, be sure to include:
    1. Your name & UD ID
    2. Institution you attended
    3. Course number/title
  4. The departmental contact will evaluate the course, determine if there is a UD equivalent, and email you, copying
  5. If you do not hear back from a departmental contact, it is your responsibility to follow-up with this person.

Step 6 - Confirm that the UD equivalents are posted to your record & meet with your advisor.

  1. When departmental contacts confirm an equivalent course, we will update your student record.
    This process can take 1 week.
  2. Check My Blue Hen Home (or UDSIS) to confirm that the UD equivalent course posted correctly.
    If there is an issue, contact
  3. We also recommend that you meet with your academic advisor to review how equivalent courses will count toward you degree.