Student & Exchange Visitor Information System Procedures
The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) now charges a fee of $180 per student to use the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Before you apply for your first J-1 visa for entry into the Untied States, you must pay this SEVIS fee. Do not send the Form I-901 to the University of Delaware.
The SEVIS fee must be paid in US dollars and may be done either by postal mail or on-line Internet. The procedure for paying the fee is:
- Obtain the fee payment form - Form I-901.
- Access Form I-901 at www.fmjfee.com on the Internet, or
- If you are unable to access Form I-901 on the Internet, contact OISS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete Form I-901, answering all questions.
- You must have a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 in order to complete the I-901.
- J-1 applicants must include the University of Delaware program number P-1-01898.
- Pay the $180 SEVIS fee.
- By personal check, money order, or foreign draft drawn on a US bank (must be made payable to "I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee"):
- Print your name and your SEVIS number on the check or money order.
- Mail the payment and Form I-901 to:
I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
P.O. Box 970020
St. Louis, MO 63197-0020
- You will receive a receipt by mail at the address you give on the Form I-901.
- Take the receipt with you to your visa application interview.
- By credit card:
- Follow the on-line instructions.
- Include the required credit card information.
- Print out the payment screen to verify your payment.
- Take the payment verification printout with you to your visa application interview.
- By Western Union Quick Pay (where available):
- Western Union office collects fee (in local currency), along with I-901 data, and electronically transmits payment and data to DHS. The Western Union office issues a receipt that serves as immediate proof of payment or the visa application interview and US entry.
All receipts must be received (by mail) or confirmed (by Internet) at least three US government working days before your visa application interview.
IMPORTANT: Keep the receipt for future proof of payment! You will need to present it at your interview and at your US Port of Entry.
CITIZENS OF CANADA ONLY:
- No visa or visa application is required of Canadian citizens.
- Pay the SEVIS fee as outlined in step 3 above and get the receipt.
- Present the SEVIS fee payment receipt at your US Port of Entry.
Further information is available on the SEVIS website at: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/