Dear international students,
On behalf of the staff from the Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS), I would like to welcome you to Spring 2014. The University of Delaware deeply values the presence of international students and scholars on campus and it is a privilege for our staff to assist you. Here are some reminders as we start the year:
- OISS Communications: We recommend that you regularly check your UD email and periodically check the OISS web site. OISS will be keeping you informed of important information about immigration and other issues. We do not want you to miss any critical new information.
- International Programming: A calendar of events for international students and scholars is available on the OISS website. Please visit http://www.udel.edu/oiss/about/events.html for more information on activities, workshops, and field trips happening this spring.
- Weekly Coffee Hour: Starting this semester, OISS will be hosting this weekly social event that brings international and domestic students and scholars together to share and learn about different cultures from around the world. The Weekly Coffee Hour kicks off this Friday 2/14 from 4 to 6 PM at 44 Kent Way. Come enjoy a free cup of coffee or tea, snacks and live music! http://bit.ly/1jxkDiM
- Your I-20 or DS-2019: Always make sure that your I-20 or DS-2019 form is current and valid. If your document will expire in the near future and you plan to continue your program beyond the end date, please extend it before the expiration date. Your immigration status could be at risk if you do not extend your document before it expires. More information available at: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/maintaining_your_status.html
- Updating your U.S. address: Please make sure that you always have an updated local U.S. address in UDSIS: http://bit.ly/1eQeJXL. It is your responsibility to update your information within 10 days of the change.
- Optional Practical Training (OPT): If you are graduating this semester, please note that your OPT application needs to be received by immigration within 60 days of your completion date. More information about OPT can be found at: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/employment.html
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT): If you are planning to apply for CPT to work or do an internship in your field of study over the summer, please be reminded that your application is due at OISS by June 12, 2014. Information about CPT eligibility and application procedures can be found at: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/employment.html
- Travel Signature: Are you planning a trip outside of the U.S.? Please contact OISS to make sure that all your documents are in order and that you have the necessary signatures before you travel. ELI students must see an OISS advisor before any travel outside the U.S. You can read more about travel and re-entry at: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/travel_and_visas.html
- Get Connected: You can now follow OISS on social media for immediate updates on programming events and activities designed to help you succeed and adjust to life at UD! Check out our social media page: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/about/socialmedia.html
I invite you to contact our office at any time we can be of assistance. Best wishes for a successful semester ahead.
Ravi Ammigan, Director