Dear international students,
As the year comes to an end, I write on behalf of OISS to extend our best wishes and offer a few helpful reminders to both graduating and returning students. I invite you to contact our office anytime you have questions or concerns about your immigration status. OISS is open Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.
- Travel Signature: Are you planning a trip outside the U.S. over the break? Please contact OISS to make sure that you have all necessary documents and signatures before the holiday break. Travel signatures should be no older than 1 year upon your re-entry. ELI students must see an OISS advisor before any travel outside the U.S. For more information on travel and visa renewal, please see: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/travel_and_visas.html
- New I-94 Procedures: In April 2013, U.S. Customs and Border Protection introduced a new procedure that replaced the physical I-94 card that you used to receive at the U.S. port of entry or border. You will now only receive an entry (or admission) stamp in your passport, which will include the entry date, class of admission (or status) and the expiration date. You can retrieve and print an electronic copy of your I-94 online. For more information, please see: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/I-94.html
- I-20 or DS-2019: Always make sure that your I-20 or DS-2019 form is current and valid. If your document will expire in the near future and you plan to continue your program beyond the end date, please extend it before the expiration date. Your immigration status will be at risk if you do not extend your document before it expires. More information on how to renew your I-20 or DS-2019 form is available at: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/maintaining_your_status.html
- Optional Practical Training (OPT): If you are graduating and have not yet applied for OPT, please note that your OPT application needs to be received by immigration within 60 days of your completion date and can take 60-90 days to process. More information about OPT can be found at: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/employment.html
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT): If you are planning to apply for CPT to work or do an internship in your field of study over the winter break, please review application procedures at: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/students/employment.html
- OISS Communication: We recommend that you regularly check your UD email and periodically check the OISS web site so you do not miss out on any critical new information about immigration, programs and other issues. You can also follow OISS on Facebook and Twitter for immediate updates on upcoming events and activities!
- Cookies and Cocoa at 44 Kent Way: Need a break from exams? OISS invites you to come enjoy a free beverage and cookie at our new location this Wednesday 12/11 from 11 AM to 2PM.
- OISS Essay Contest: The winners of the 2013 International Students Essay Contest have been announced! You can read their essays at: http://www.udel.edu/oiss/programming/index.html#essay
- OISS Closed over the Holiday Break: Like most offices on campus, OISS will be closed over the holiday break on 12/24/2013 through 1/01/2014. Our office hours will resume as normal at 8 AM on Thursday, 1/02/2014. If you have an emergency during non-business hours, please call public safety at 302-831-2222. If your question does not require immediate attention, please e-mail OISS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ravi Ammigan, Director