OISS is here for you!

If you need immediate assistance, email us at oiss@udel.edu or call (302) 831-2115. Get more information about how OISS will be operating this fall.

University of Delaware
  • UD Search
Terra Dotta

Temporary Business Visas

Japanese Ambassador

When bringing foreign nationals to campus, it is strongly recommended for UD Departments to contact OISS as early in the process as possible.

Please note that immigration regulations are subject to change and can vary depending on your particular case or situation. Always consult an OISS advisor for the most accurate information or whenever in doubt.

A Visiting Scholar as a Temporary Visitor for Business

The "visitor" visa is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1), for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2), or combination of both (B-1/B-2) purposes.

International visitors coming to UD for a short period of time (usually few days) to perform limited services, can apply for B-1 (Visitor for Business) visa or if eligible, enter on a WB visa. The department can simply issue a letter of invitation from the Department Chair/Director/Dean.

A visiting scholar can be classified as a B-1 visitors for business, if they are traveling to the United States to:

  • Engage in commercial transactions, which do not involve gainful employment in the United States
  • Negotiate contracts
  • Consult with business associates
  • Litigate
  • Participate in scientific, educational, professional, or business conventions, conferences, or seminars

NOTE: B-1/WB or B-2/WT status holders should not engage in study, research, or employment in the United States.