University of Delaware Virtualization Service
The use of virtual servers moves the University towards the
- Reduce campus electrical consumption,
more efficient use of computing hardware, and
departments' time administering physical computing systems.
To request a virtual server, submit a UD Virtual Machine Request Form. (Instructions below.)
Using the central IT virtualization service provides departments
with more flexibility than buying a physical server. There are
no up-front costs, and departments
are not locked into one configuration; the virtual server
configuration, and associated costs, can be changed as a
department's needs increase or decrease.
In addition, through IT-hosted server virtualization, University departments
can realize greater efficiency by
migrating stand-alone servers spread throughout campus to
virtualized servers in the Chapel Street Computing Center.
Server virtualization is a green
technology because of the advantages of running many virtual servers on one physical system.
- Virtual servers use less energy than the individual
servers they replace.
- Running multiple virtual servers on one physical device
takes up less space.
- Purchasing systems for a central virtual "server farm"
saves the University money
when compared with buying a large number of individual physical servers.
- Using virtual servers in a location designed to handle the
power and cooling requirements of multiple computing systems
allows departments to stop making modifications to classrooms,
offices, and closets to accommodate individual servers.
Virtual servers can be
configured with 2-8 CPUs,
1-16 GB memory, up to 3TB of disk space, and the choice of one of several
Monthly pricing for each of these options is listed below.
- Per processor: $6.00/month
- Per GB memory: $6.00/month
- Per GB disk: $0.03 per GB/month
Note: You must also purchase software and operating
system licenses for hosted machines as applicable.
- LAMP server: 1 processor, 2GB memory, 30GB disk:
- Windows 2008R2 server: 2 processors, 4GB memory, 80GB disk: $38.40/month,
- Database server: 4 processors, 16Gb memory, 60GB disk, 2TB external
disk: $181.80/month, $2,181.60/year
Requesting a virtual machine
To request a virtual server, submit a UD Virtual Machine Request Form. You'll need to provide
For more information, contact the IT Support Center.
- Budget information:
- Purpose code
- Purpose code administrator
code administrator email address.
- The desired domain name for the virtual machine.
- Specifications for the virtual machine.