Install and Use McAfee VirusScan on a Mac OS Computer
The University uses a licensed copy of McAfee VirusScan customized for employee-, student-, and University-owned computers. Some programs conflict with McAfee VirusScan. If your computer has other anti-virus software installed, you must uninstall the programs before installing McAfee VirusScan. Common anti-virus programs for Mac include—but are not limited to—the following:
- Any pre-installed McAfee product (NOTE: You should remove McAfee copies that are from sources other than the University of Delaware. For example, a promotional copy that came with your computer, a copy that you purchased with a retail license, or a copy from a previous school or employer.)
- ESET Cyber Security
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- Panda Antivirus
- Trend Micro
The directions below apply to all versions of Mac OS X 10.9+ running McAfee version 9.8.
Step 1:Remove old anti-virus software from your Mac
- Open a Terminal window from the Utilities folder and enter the following command:
sudo /usr/local/McAfee/uninstall EPM
- Enter your account password when prompted
For clients with other anti-virus software installed:
- Drag the application's icon into the Trash from the Applications folder.
- Empty the Trash.
Step 2:Install McAfee 9.8 on your Mac
- Download VirusScan to your desktop.
- Double-click VSM980-RTW-1791.pkg.
- If asked if you want to run the program, click Continue.
- Click Continue on each page of the
installer. On the last screen, click Install, and then type your password at
the prompt that looks similar to the
- You will see a success screen after the installation completes.
- Click Close.
- Eject the .dmg file from your computer's desktop after you finish installing VirusScan.
- Run a manual scan to check for viruses.
The UD version of VirusScan for Mac will NOT automatically scan your computer for viruses at regular intervals. To ensure that your system is virus-free, you should manually scan your computer at least once a week: Directions for manually scanning a Mac OS X Computer.
Step 3:Manually scan your Mac for viruses
- From your Applications folder, open McAfee Security.
- In the left-hand column, click Scan
- Click Start Scan in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- You will see a progression bar as the scan runs. When the scan is complete, the application will indicate if any viruses were detected and what action was taken (usually cleaned or deleted unless you have changed the preference settings).