Campus Cable TV (CATV)
For repairs to TV cable connections, call (302) 831-6000, or submit a Help Request form to report problems.
Comcast is the content provider for the University's cable television network. The service is entirely digital and provides a wide variety of channels via traditional cable distribution plus additional channels available via "IPTV" (television provided over the IP network). Premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) are available at additional cost via IPTV. Every UD classroom, lounge, dining area, residence hall, and apartment is wired to connect to the CATV network. TV sets must have a QAM-256 tuner to receive a signal.
You will need a TV with a QAM-256 tuner to receive all of the UD CATV channels. Most modern televisions should have a built-in QAM-256 tuner and be labeled "digital-cable ready." If so, connect your TV to the cable network with a standard coax cable, run the automatic channel scan, and enjoy.
To auto scan, consult your TV's user manual for model specific instructions. In general, you will do the following:
- Access your TV's menu.
- Select Setup.
- Look for the option to automatically scan for all channels. Be sure the tuner is set to scan for CABLE TV or CABLE INPUT, not "antenna" or "air" channels.
- Run the scan. It may take a few minutes as the TV looks for all available signals.
If you aren't receiving channels, either the tuner in your TV is not a QAM-256 tuner, or your TV doesn't have a QAM tuner at all.
Review your TV's tuner specifications:
- Analog NTSC tuner - not compatible
- Digital ATSC tuner - not compatible
- Clear QAM tuner - not compatible
- Clear QAM-64 tuner - not compatible
- QAM-256 tuner - compatible and required.
If necessary, you will either need to purchase a compatible DVR or external QAM tuner, or replace your incompatible TV. (View the list of compatible and incompatible TV sets, based on information from Comcast and observations in the field.)
IT has tested the following set-top box and confirmed its QAM-256 tuning abilities on UD's CATV system:
- Proscan PAT102 ATSC Set-Top Box, available from Newegg.com, hhgregg.com, or any other online retailer.