Google Apps at UD: Special Situations & Troubleshooting
I already have a Google Account where I log
in with firstname.lastname@example.org
One of the initial steps in migrating our UD
email to Google was to create all @udel.edu
accounts on the Google servers. This means
that you actually have two accounts at Google
which use your @udel.edu address as a
One was created when you first signed up for
Google apps (calendar, docs, sites, etc.),
and one is officially associated
with your UD account. It's important to note
that the two are completely independent of
If you have an @udel.edu Google account and
are having problems seeing your information,
you need to disassociate your Google account
from the udel.edu address that you initially
How to disassociate your email@example.com address from
your Google account
- Go to google.com and sign
in with your @udel.edu username and Google
- You will need a secondary email address
(e.g. Yahoo, Comcast, etc.). We'll use Yahoo
as an example here. If you already have
another account, and it has not already been
associated with a Google account, you can
simply use that address and go on to step 3. Otherwise, open another window or tab, go to
yahoo.com (or another service of your choice), and create an account.
- Go back to the Google tab or window that
you signed into in step 1 above.
- At top right of the google.com page, click your email address or name, and choose Account.
- On the Accounts page, click the edit link next to Email.
- On the Manage account information page, type your secondary email address for Add an additional email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click Save. You
will now need to verify this new email
- Go back to Yahoo, make sure you are
logged into your Yahoo email, and check your
inbox for a message from Google.
- Read the email message from Google in
your Yahoo account. Click the verification
- Go back to the Google tab/window. At the
top right click Sign out.
- Now sign in with this new email as your
username (not your @udel.edu email) and your
Google password. All of your calendars and
documents will be there. Always use this sign
on to access your Google account.