DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
SAMPLE QUESTIONS FOR FIRST TEST
Questions on the first test will resemble the ones here. Most of these appeared on class quizzes.
The wording and choices on the final version may differ. So you make sure that you
understand concepts or ideas involved.
Don't look just at the line with the check mark. Read
all of the alternatives to see why the checked one is best. Note also that one alternative is
clearly better thant the others, even if by some wild stretch of the imagination
another one is a possiblity.
- Which of these best represents the idea of popular sovereignty? (Circle the best response.)
- To be effective a government must be popular with its citizens
Legitimate power of government flows from the will and consent of the people.
- Legitimate power of government flows only from the Constitution.
- Legitimate power of government flows from the Declaration of Independence, the
Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.
- Which of these has been offered as an objection to populist or popular government?
- The people do not possess the knowledge, wisdom, and experience to govern.
- The people would look for or protect only their immediate short-term needs and
- The people are really not that interested in governing themselves.
All of the above.
- Which of these statements comes closest to the lecturer's argument or thinking about
Political institutions have to encourage and facilitate public participation.
- Although political institutions can provide opportunities for participation, the people
have the sole responsibility to take part in public affairs.
- Political institutions can not prevent determined citizens from participating in
- Political institutions aren't an important part of the definition of democracy.
- Which of these best statements best describes the "exclusionary" rule?"
- Evidence obtained from an arrest may be excluded from the defense in a criminal trial.
- Evidence obtained from an illegal arrest may be excluded from jurors but not the judge
in a criminal trial.
Evidence obtained from an illegal search or seizure may be excluded from evidence
in a criminal trial.
- Evidence obtained from an illegal search or seizure may only be excluded from the jury
in a criminal trial if the prosecution agrees.
- Which of these statements about the controversy over government spending is true?
It is a "defining" or fundamental issue because how it is resolved affects how other
public problems are handled.
- Only Republicans and conservatives care about it.
- It is no longer a major issue since both President Clinton and Democrats in Congress
agree that the budget must be balanced.
- Most economists don't think it is much of a concern and feel Congress should spend its
time on social legislation such as abortion and child abuse.
- Which of these statements about federal government spending is most accurate?
Spending on mandatory and entitlement programs has increased since 1965 whereas
outlays for discretionary programs have remained constant or even declined.
- Expenditures for entitlements mostly benefit the lower class while discretionary
spending mostly helps the wealthy
- Public assistance (i.e., welfare) is now the largest part of the federal budget.
- Federal expenditures have increased despite public opposition to most government
- How does the federal government's budget differ from a business or household budget?
- They do not differ.
- The federal budget distinguishes between outlays for investments in human and
physical capital while business and house hold budgets do not.
- The federal budget hides a great deal of waste whereas business and household budgets
The federal budget counts every outlay or expenditure as consumption.
- Which of these can be considered an investment in "human" capital?
- Health care
- Education and training.
Both health care and education and training.
- None of these.
- One can argue that the size of the national debt is frequently overestimated because people do
not take into account
- the government's assets.
- the fact that a large portion of this debt is owed to the government itself.
- the fact that government bonds and securities are considered a very safe, if
All of the above.
Fiscal policy attempts to manipulate _____________ to control aggregate demand.
- interest rates and bonds
- taxes and government spending
- tax increases and deficits
- employment and inflation
- Pump priming is an attempt to
stimulate the economy by cutting taxes and/or increasing spending.
- decrease aggregate demand.
- accelerate or increase unemployment.
- All of the above.
Questions? Contact H. T. Reynolds or
Chris Steger, TA
Go to Political Science 105 main page