2017 Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Open Enrollment
November 7 - November 29, 2016
Online enrollment in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is easy!
- You can enroll in a Health Care FSA and/or Dependent Care FSA for calendar year 2017 using our FSA Enrollment Form.
- Enter your annual contribution amount for the Health Care FSA and/or Dependent Care FSA. Your "per pay" deduction(s) will automatically be displayed.
Note: In compliance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, $2,600 is the maximum allowable Healthcare FSA contribution for 2017.
- If you are interested in the FSA Debit Card, you must elect this option. If you already have a debit card for the current plan year, and choose “Yes” on the debit card option during this open enrollment, the amount that you elect for the Health Care FSA for the new plan year will be loaded on your current debit card. A new card will not be issued to you.
- If you previously elected an FSA debit card, but no longer wish to use it, please select “No” as your Debit Card option. Your current debit card will not be reloaded for the new plan year.
- Please note that there is a $5.00 charge for additional card requests after this open enrollment period or if requesting more than two cards at this time.
- A confirmation page will be displayed. Please print a copy of the confirmation page for your records.
- If you change your mind before the end of this open enrollment period, you may access the enrollment form and submit a new election. Note: Your most recent entry will be taken as your election for the year.
Elections and grace period
The University's plan year for FSAs is January through December. Once your enrollment in the account(s) is finalized, you cannot change or stop your contribution for the remainder of the plan year, unless you have a qualifying family status change (e.g., marriage, divorce, birth/adoption of a child, etc.). If you have a change in status, you have 30 days after the date of the qualifying event to change your coverage by submitting a family status change form. Keep in mind, the requested change must be consistent with the event.
The 2017 Flexible Spending Accounts Plan includes a 2½ month grace period (Jan. 1 – March 15, 2018). This means that a participant who incurs expenses during the grace period may be reimbursed from contributions made in the preceding year (2017). This provides additional time to take advantage of FSA contributions before the amounts are forfeited under the "use-it-or-lose-it" rule. If, however, you do not spend all your 2017 FSA money for expenses you incur before the end of the grace period (March 15, 2018), you will forfeit any unused balance.
Please see our website for additional information. The Human Resources staff is available to help with any questions you have about Flexible Spending Accounts and enrollment. You may reach a benefits representative by e-mailing email@example.com.