Parents, Giving, University of Delaware
University of Delaware
PA enews 2

Spring 2011

Return to the E-Newsletter Table of Contents

Parents E-Newsletter
Spring 2011

Keeping Your Student Safe

The University of Delaware Department of Public Safety, accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), provides many services to the University community in order to prevent crime and enhance student life.  Public Safety provides interactive services, not just secure locks and surveillance cameras, to promote campus safety. Here are just a few of the things that Public Safety is doing to keep your student safe:

Property Registration
During the school year, Public Safety recovers thousands of dollars’ worth of property. Much of the property cannot be returned as the rightful owner cannot be identified.  Fortunately, your student can register valuable property online.  Items such as computers, stereos, and television should be registered, and there is also a separate form for bicycles.   When property is recovered, the recovering police agency will be able to access the owner's information if the property has been registered.

Blue Light Emergency Phones
Over 100 blue light phones, used to connect students directly to University police in case of an emergency, are located across campus.  Check the Campus Safety Walkabout Map to see the precise locations of the blue light phones.

Safe Travel
Many parents are concerned about their child walking around campus after dark.  Luckily, there is a "Hen After 10" bus service that provides transportation to students even late at night.  "Hen After 10" stops are well lit and regularly patrolled by University Police Officers.  Schedules and routes can be found here.

If your child is unable to access the buses, or feels uncomfortable walking to the stop alone, walking escorts are available.  The escort perimeter is shown on the walkabout map.

Victim Services
Public Safety has three officers specifically trained in victim services. All police officers at the Department of Public Safety have had some training in this area. An officer will be made available at all times to offer assistance, counseling and support services, and referrals to outside agencies for victims of crime. If your child thinks he or she has been a victim of a crime, please contact the University Police at 831-2222 to file an incident report.