To Do Financial Aid Requirements

These items are listed once we are ready for them to be done from the Checklist on your My Blue Hen Home account. Typically these items will include:

MPN and Entrance Counseling

Federal Direct Loans require that new borrowers complete both a Master Promissory Note as well as Entrance Counseling. This can be done by logging in with your FSA ID at

Completion of these requirements serves as your acceptance of these loans. If you know you do not plan on using the federal loans offered, you can decline you federal loans from your MyBlueHenHome account. Because rates are not set until July for the upcoming semester, most families wait until July before making a decision on their loans. (See Accepting/Decline Financial Aid section for more details.)

Federal Perkins Loans also require that a Perkins Note be completed. You can complete your Perkins loan from your UDSIS Student Service Center from the Accept/Decline Awards option. There is a specific link at the bottom of the page Perkins Note that is used to submit your agreement to that loan.

Federal Parent Plus Loans must have a Parent Plus Loan MPN completed after the credit approval has been granted. This is done from the Direct Lending website at

Federal Work/Study student must complete any requirement such a Verification Audit prior to a job placement offer.

Documents Required for Verification

Federal Verification

Federal Verification is a review process in which the University of Delaware, as required by the U.S. Department of Education, must verify the accuracy of the information provided on a student's FAFSA. FAFSA applications are randomly selected by the Federal processor for verification.

Federal programs such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work Study and the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan Program have strict eligibility requirements. University and state funding awarded based on need may also be affected.

Initial financial aid awards are based on the most current information we have on file for you at that time. If the tax and household information differs from the information reported on the student's FAFSA, financial aid could be increased, decreased or canceled altogether.

All verification documents should be forwarded to the Office of Student Financial Services soon as possible after they are requested. Failure to do so may result in reduction and/or cancellation of any need-based Federal-,State-, or University-funded financial aid. Students will be notified via email if any other documents are needed.

Schools are required to verify:

  • Household size (number of people in your household)
  • Number enrolled in college (number of household members attending a post-secondary educational institution at least half time)
  • Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or income earned from work if income is below minimum required for income tax filing
  • U.S. Income Tax Paid for the base year
  • Child Support Paid for the base year (2015-2016 requirement only)
  • Receipt of Food Stamps/SNAP benefits for base and prior year (2015-2016 requirement only)
  • Certain Untaxed Income and Benefits for the base year, such as:
    • Child support received
    • Interest on tax free bonds
    • Other untaxed income from the U.S. income tax return (excluding schedules)

2015 - 2016 Academic Year

Dependent students are required to submit

Independent students are required to submit

Acceptable 2014 IRS Documentation

IRS Data Retrieval (DRT) - This option is recommended by the University of Delaware and provides you with the fastest, easiest and most secure way to verify your tax data.

IRS Tax Return Transcript - Use if you have updated your IRS data on your SAR after using the IRS DRT. There are three ways to request an IRS tax return transcript:

Amended Tax Returns

If you have amended your tax return, you must submit both an IRS Tax Return Transcript (which will provide the original information) and an IRS Tax Account Transcript (which will provide the updated information). You must use IRS Form 4506-T to request these, carefully following the instructions on the form. Documents should be sent within 30 days of request receipt. Do not use IRS Form 4056-EZ.

Other Items

Students must also continue to meet the conditions in which the financial aid was awarded including attendance, housing choice, residency status, progression toward a degree to maintain the financial aid awards. Please also keep in mind that awards can only be offered up to the cost of attendance for the semester. If you have awards that are at that cost, obtaining additional awards (even scholarships) may require a reduction of your offered awards