Conditions to Financial Aid

Please regard this information as required reading. You must take the steps explained here to confirm your financial aid award. If you follow them carefully, you will ensure a good beginning for yourself in the fall.

We hope you find this information helpful. But you are always welcome to call or write if you still have questions or concerns.

What are the conditions to my federal financial aid?
Selective Service Registration (Men Only)

Federal regulations, as confirmed by the Supreme Court ruling issued on June 24, 1983, require all federal financial aid recipients to complete a Statement of Education Purpose/Registration Compliance.

You will be required to complete this before any federal aid funds may be disbursed to you. These funds include: Federal Perkins Loan, Nursing Student Loan, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study Program, Direct Loans, and Direct PLUS Loans.

Title IV Certification

In this document a student states that he/she has never defaulted on any federal educational loans. It also certifies that a student has paid any refund due on a federal grant which the student has been asked to repay. Federal regulations require completion of a Title IV Certification for all recipients of federally funded financial aid, including the Direct Loans.

Direct Parent Loan applicants must also have a Title IV Certification signed by their parent before the University can certify the loan. This signed statement must be in University files before your loan applications can be processed or your account credited with federal funds.

Academic Status

All financial aid awards carry these stipulations:

  • That you enroll each semester on at least a half-time basis (6 credits). Listener credits do not count toward enrollment.
  • That you maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a degree.
  • That you be a matriculated student - in other words, students who are enrolled through continuing education (CEND) or who are otherwise non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid.
    The University's Undergraduate Catalog provides additional specific information on academic status and what constitutes satisfactory academic progress at the University of Delaware. It is your responsibility to be sure that you meet all requirements for satisfactory academic progress.
  • After attempting 60 credit hours, you must have a 2.0 grade point average or higher to receive federal aid. In addition, you must complete at least 67% of coursework attempted and graduate before attempting 186 credit hours. This is a Higher Education Amendments of 1986 (October 17, 1986) mandate.
Financial Aid Recipient Withdrawals

If you are a recipient of Title IV federal financial aid funds and your enrollment terminates through official withdrawal, your financial aid award must be reviewed for possible adjustment.

Financial aid eligibility is based on the cost of education (tuition, mandatory fees, housing, meal plan, books, etc.) incurred for the entire semester and is contingent upon completion of that semester. When you withdraw, federal regulations mandate that any unearned aid be returned to the federal aid programs. The percent of aid earned is based on the date of withdrawal divided by the total number of days in the semester. Title IV recipients are governed by the federal policy if they withdraw prior to completing 60% of the semester.

If your institutional charges are reduced or recalculated, this change may result in the reduction of recipient's other sources of financial aid. For more information please visit:

Failure to Withdraw Officially

Students are required to adhere to the University's official withdrawal policy when terminating their enrollment prior to the end of a given term. Failure to withdraw officially will result in the cancellation of any federal financial aid program funds previously awarded for that term. Federal regulations require that funds for ineligible recipients be returned to the financial aid program accounts. Students will be billed for semester charges.

Handouts for the Title IV recipient withdrawals, explaining the policies, procedures, and examples of adjustments are available upon request at the Student Services Building, Lovett Avenue and the Office of Student Financial Services.

Part-Time Enrollment

If you enroll for less than full-time status (that is, if you enroll for fewer than 12 credits per semester), your aid package will be revised. If you are enrolled for less than six credits, you are ineligible for most types of aid. Please note that Listener (L) credits do NOT count toward full-time enrollment.

What are the conditions to my scholarships and grants?

Please login to your online Financial Aid Award at and select each award for specific information about whether it is renewable as well as other specific conditions of receiving the award on-going. Please also read the information below for general requirements for scholarships and grants:

  1. Enroll full-time (12 credit hours) each Fall and Spring Semester, and maintain full-time enrollment by earning a minimum of 12 credits each semester towards your degree. Listener and withdrawn credits do not count as progress, but pass/fail grades normally do.
  2. Adhere to the student Code-of-Conduct by evidence of good citizenship on campus and by avoiding violations of the Code.
  3. Maintain the minimum cumulative grade point averages specified for your scholarship (usually 3.00).
  4. Need-based Grant renewals depend on filing the FAFSA each year by the deadline, and showing relatively the same level of need each year.
  5. Continuous enrollment each Fall and Spring is required for renewal. Exceptions for medical or military reasons for absence may be granted upon appeal of the determination of non-renewal.

What are my Rights and Responsibilities?

The University of Delaware believes it is important that all students know in advance their rights and responsibilities as financial aid recipients.

Student Rights

You have the right to know:

  • all available aid programs
  • program application deadlines
  • aid distribution methods and the policies and the financial resources considered when calculating your aid
  • the extent your determined financial need was met
  • the University's refund policy
  • University standards for satisfactory academic progress and what happens if you don't meet them
  • the amount of grant aid
  • if the aid includes loans
    • how much must be repaid
    • the interest rate(s)
    • pay back procedures
    • the length of time to repay
    • the time repayment must begin
Student Responsibilities

Your responsibilities are to:

  • complete all application forms accurately and submit them on time.
  • provide correct information. Misreporting of information on financial aid application forms is a violation of the law and may be considered a criminal offense that could result in indictment under the U.S. Criminal Code.
  • return all additional documentation, verification, corrections, and any new information requested by either the Financial Aid Office or the agency to which you submitted your application.
  • read and understand the forms you are asked to sign. It is also your responsibility to retain a copy for your records.
  • accept responsibility for all agreements that you sign.
Things to remember . . .
  • If you are selected for Verification, you must provide any requested documents promptly. This process must be complete before any federal funds can be credited to your account.
  • Students receiving Federal Perkins Loans or Nursing Loans must complete a Promissory Note before funds can be credited to their accounts.
  • "Revised Awards." Whenever your financial aid is adjusted, your online FAAN (Financial Aid Award Notice) from the My Awards and Financing section from your MyBlueHenHome account will be updated automatically.
  • Revised awards illustrate changes to your aid package. Adjustments may include reductions based on changes in student or family resources or changes brought about because of other aid sources.
  • Federal Work-Study and other work awards may not be taken as a credit on student accounts. If you have been offered Federal Work Study, please review the details included from your online FAAN as well as the information on Work Study from this site found from the Financial Aid Award Notice Overview.
  • You are responsible for payment of your student bill regardless of any financial assistance offers. You are also responsible for late/penalty fees that may incur because of failure to complete financial aid requirements within the designated timeline.
  • The University complies with all requirements of the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 (Public Law 101-226).
  • Your need-based funding is determined by the difference between the student budget and the expected family contribution.
  • Due to limited funding, you may receive less aid than demonstrated need. This "unmet need" may be addressed by obtaining other financing resources. These are listed from the Financing Resources section of this site and include a Federal Parent Plus Loan, UD semester installment payment plan, etc.