University of Delaware


Students may now file the 2018-2019 FAFSA at, using UD's school code (001431).

Prospective Fall 2018 Freshmen check out our New Student Info site.

Students taking summer classes can request a check of federal aid eligibility here.

Fall bills will be available mid-July.


  Right to Know
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act  Commitment to Delawareans

Graduate Funding

Departmental Funding

While determining your financial plan of funding your graduate degree, your first course of action should be to speak with your educational department. Individual academic departments can provide you with additional information on departmental funding, such as Graduate Work Contract or Assistantships.

You can use the Registrar's Directory of Academic Departments to find contact information for your academic department. You may also contact the Office of Graduate Studies, or visit their site for graduate Funding Resources, if you need more information on assistantships.

Teach Grant Program

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grants to students who intend to teach full-time in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low income families. In order to qualify for the TEACH Grant, you must teach in a high-need field at a low-income school for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant.

IMPORTANT: If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education with interest charged from the date the TEACH grant was disbursed (paid to you or on your behalf).

The following requirements must be met:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Meet the following academic requirements, based on academic level at the time of grant request:
    • Freshman Requirements: Freshman must have scored above the 75th percentile on SAT or ACT.
    • Current Students/Transfer Student Requirements: Maintained a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 for each term for which the TEACH Grant is disbursed.
  • Complete TEACH Grant Entrance Counseling and Teach Grant Agreement to Service and Promise to Pay.
TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve

Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve that will be available electronically on a Department of Education Web site. The TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve specifies the conditions under which the grant will be awarded, the teaching service requirements, and includes an acknowledgment by you that you understand that if you do not meet the teaching service requirements you must repay the grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were disbursed. Specifically, the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve will require the following:

  • For each TEACH Grant-eligible program for which you received TEACH Grant funds, you must serve as a full-time teacher for a total of at least four academic years within eight calendar years after you completed or withdrew from the academic program for which you received the TEACH Grant.
  • You must perform the teaching service as a highly-qualified teacher at a low-income school. The term highly-qualified teacher is defined in section 9101(23) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 or in section 602(10) of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
  • Your teaching service must be in a high-need field.
  • You must comply with any other requirements that the Department of Education determines to be necessary.
  • If you do not complete the required teaching service obligation, TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan that you must repay, with interest charged from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement.

If you wish to apply for the TEACH grant please complete the TEACH Grant application in its entirety and submit to Student Financial Services.


Educational loans are considered a form of financial aid that many students utilize to help meet the cost of attendance that is not covered through personal resources or any scholarship and grant funding. There are a variety of loan programs for you to consider. It is important to understand the loan options available so you can make informed decisions about how much loan money to should borrow, and which loan program best suits your needs. Our loan programs include:

Direct Stafford Loan

Receiving federal financial aid for college begins with the FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are determined by the filing the FAFSA.

  • Click here for additional information on the process to apply for financial aid.

In order for your Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan to disburse to your account, new borrowers must complete entrance counseling and sign the Master Promissory Note.

Master Promissory Note

Student and Parents who are first-time borrowers under the Federal Direct Loan Program (Direct Loans-Subsidized/Unsubsidized, Direct PLUS Loans, Direct Graduate PLUS Loans) are required to complete and sign a master promissory note (MPN) before their loan proceeds can be released. The MPN is a legally binding agreement to the terms and conditions of the loan. By signing it you are promising to repay your loan. It is a good idea to save a copy for your records.

Entrance Counseling

First time Federal Direct Student Loan (Subsidized/Unsubsidized and/or Graduate PLUS) borrowers at the University of Delaware must complete the online Loan Entrance Counseling and Quiz before loan funds can be disbursed. Completion of the Loan Entrance Counseling and Quiz is a federal requirement that discusses your rights and responsibilities as a Federal Direct Student Loan borrower.

Steps to completing Federal Entrance Counseling (STUDENT)

  • Use Microsoft Internet Explorer as your web browser.
  • Sign-In to the following website,
  • The student will need to log in with their SSN #, 1st 2 characters of their last name, DOB and FSA ID. If the student has misplaced the FSA ID, please visit
  • On Welcome Page, please choose "Complete Entrance Counseling".
  • At this point you will be directed through Entrance Counseling Steps, please allow 30 minutes to complete the counseling session.

Please Note: Once you have completed entrance counseling you must allow the University of Delaware two business days to receive confirmation.

Prior to graduating, leaving the university, or dropping below half-time, federal loan borrowers are required to complete a mandatory exit counseling session. Exit interviews are mandatory because it is a federal law and a condition of receiving a federally funded student loan.

Exit Counseling

An exit interview is a mandatory loan counseling session that provides loan repayment, grace period, billing options information, and collects updated borrower information as required by the federal government. Prior to graduating, leaving the university, or dropping below half-time, federal loan borrowers are required to complete a mandatory exit counseling session. These online exit-counseling sessions provides a borrower their rights and responsibilities as a Federal Loan Recipient. Exit interviews are mandatory because it is a federal law and a condition of receiving a federally funded student loan.

Direct Loan Exit Counseling (Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Graduate Plus)

Direct Loan on-line exit counseling requires you to login with your Department of Education FSA ID. (If you do not have a FSA ID or have misplaced, please visit You will complete the exit counseling on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) student website. There will be a series of short quizzes that you will be required to complete before continuing throughout the session. Please note that you must complete the entire session once you begin. If you exit the counseling before completing the session and return later, you will need to start over from the beginning. The entire session takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.

What information do I need to complete Exit Counseling?

At the end of the exit counseling session, you will be asked for information that will be included as part of your loan records. This includes names, addresses and phone number for your next of kin, two references who live in the United States, and your future employer (if known). You will also need your driver's license number. Having this information with you when you start will make your exit counseling session go more quickly and smoothly.

Where do I complete Exit Counseling?

You can complete Exit Counseling at _SA/.

What happens if I do not complete Exit Counseling?

A hold may be placed on your records and transcripts for failure to complete your exit requirement.

Although your credit history was not taken into account when you received federal student loans, your credit history will be affected if you do not repay your federal student loans under the repayment plan you agree to when you enter repayment.

Timely repayment of your student loan obligations builds a good credit record. If you have a problem repaying your student loan, contact your lender before your payment due date.

Please Note: A Federal Student Aid Pin (the same PIN you used to sign your FAFSA) is required to complete all of the federal mandatory items listed above. If the student has misplaced the PIN, please visit

Graduate PLUS Loan

Students pursuing a Masters or PHD program at the University of Delaware may apply for a Federal Graduate Direct PLUS Loan to cover education expenses that are not covered by the FAFSA package.

A printable copy of the following information can be found here: 2012-2013 Graduate PLUS Loan Supplement

The Graduate PLUS Loan Application, Master Promissory Note, and Entrance Counseling can be completed here: (Note: Entrance Counseling should be completed by first-time Graduate Plus Loan borrowers.)

How do I apply for a PLUS loan?

First, file the Free Application for Federal Student aid (FAFSA) or renewal FAFSA for the 2012-2013 academic year. Then complete the Federal Direct PLUS 2012-2013 application on, and the information will be forwarded to Student Financial Services for verification. To complete the online application, sign in under 'Manage My Direct Loan' using your Department of Education's FSA ID to Complete PLUS Request process. You must be a U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen (e.g. Permanent Resident) to be eligible for this loan. Borrowers are subject to a credit check to determine credit-worthiness.

Students with an adverse credit history, including being more than 90 days or more past due in the repayment of a debt, or those who defaulted or foreclosed on a loan, or filed bankruptcy in the past may be denied a PLUS loan.

How much can I borrow?

The maximum amount you may borrow for any semester is the difference between the cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room and board, books, etc.) and the financial aid you are already receiving for that semester. If you are applying prior to the cost being established for the year (typically in July), and you would like to request that we process the loan for up to cost of attendance then please specify that on the application. We will then process the loan after the rates are set in early July for the difference between the cost of attendance less your financial aid package. There is a 4.0% origination fee which will be deducted from the amount that you request, if you request $10,000, the actual amount disbursed to your account will be $9600.

What happens next?
  • If your loan is denied, you will be notified in writing by Direct Loans with the reason for the denial, and the name of the credit bureau from which the denial was obtained.
  • If your loan is approved, you will be notified in writing by Direct Loans. IMPORTANT: you may have to complete the Electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) online; refer to the next page of this supplement for instructions on how to complete your MPN. Please note the loan funds will not be disbursed to the student's school account until the MPN is completed.
How will the PLUS loan be disbursed?

Academic year PLUS loans are disbursed into your student account in two disbursements, usually at the beginning of each semester. The actual amount disbursed will be the amount you requested minus the origination fee of 4.0%. The funds are applied to your University billing statement. Requests for refunds can be made via email to If you receive additional financial assistance after the PLUS application is certified, one or both of the loan disbursements may be reduced or cancelled to prevent over-awards.

When do I have to begin repaying my loan?

You may choose to defer payments on your PLUS loan until six months after the date you cease to be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits). The Direct Loan Servicer will provide you with the option to pay the interest that accrues on the loan prior to the start of repayment, either monthly or quarterly, or capitalized quarterly. Alternately, you may choose to begin repayment 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed, e.g. 60 days after the spring 2013 disbursement if your loan is for both fall and spring semesters, or for spring 2013 only. If you do so, the interest that accrues from the first disbursement to the start of repayment will be capitalized.

What are my options if I'm denied a PLUS loan?

If your loan is denied due to adverse credit, the Direct Loan Servicing Center will send you documents for you to add an Endorser to your loan.

The maximum graduate Unsubsidized Loan amount available each year is $20,500. Maximum total debt from Stafford loans when you graduate is $138,500. The graduate debt limit includes Stafford Loans received for undergraduate study.

Promptly notify the Student Financial Services office in writing via email to; please include the student name, student id, amount requested for each term as well as your decision to use an endorser. You may also file an appeal with the Direct Loan Servicing Center if you are confident there is no basis for you to be denied the loan. They will explain to you what steps you need to take to get an override to the credit decision.

Can I make changes to my loan?

Yes. At any time during the loan period(s) you may request that the loan amount(s) you were approved for be reduced or cancelled. An increase to the original request may require a new loan to be processed for the additional amount only. However, in all these cases your request for a loan change MUST be submitted in writing which can be done via email to; please include the student name, student ID and additional amount requested for each term (i.e. $2000 Fall ; $2000 Spring).

Is there a deadline to submit my application?

Please bear in mind that it is your responsibility to meet all UD bill payment deadlines. Your application must be submitted in sufficient time to allow processing and disbursement of funds. Payment for the Fall semester is due August 1.

What should I do if the loan I applied for is not showing on my semester bill?

If the Direct PLUS loan you applied for is not reflected on your semester bill, from your online bill in My Finances, you may indicate you have an additional pending credit, specify PLUS loan and then deduct the amount. This will allow you to pay a partial or even no payment from your semester bill but you will be considered financially clear for your first billing. Failure to take action from your online bill could result in late or installment penalties. Remember, the amount of your loan that you can deduct from the bill is the amount you requested minus the 4.0% origination fee.

Completing the Master Promissory Note
Who should complete the PLUS MPN?

If you are applying for a Direct PLUS for the first time as a graduate/professional student, you'll need to complete and sign a PLUS MPN that is separate from the one that you use for your Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans.

When should the MPN be completed?

Students should complete their MPN if necessary, soon after they have been notified by Direct Loans that their PLUS loans have been approved. Remember, your loan application is not complete until you have completed a MPN.

Steps to completing the MPN online
  • Use Microsoft Internet Explorer as your web browser.
  • Sign-In to the following website,

  • You will need your SSN#, 1st 2 characters of your last name, DOB and PIN. (You cannot use the PIN that was issued to the student or another parent.) If you do not have a PIN or have misplaced, please visit

  • On Welcome Page, please choose "Complete Master Promissory Note" and select "Graduate PLUS".

Please Note: The Promissory Note should only be completed once the parent has received confirmation that the loan has been approved.

Alternative Loans

Once you have exhausted your Federal availability for Financial Aid, Alternative Loans are another option to fill in the gap between the offered aid and your total Cost of Attendance. Please note that these lenders are for private student loans and are not to be used for Direct PLUS Loans or Direct Stafford Loans.

If you are a current student who wishes to find out more information about Alternative Loan Programs, please select the link below. By doing so, you will have access to a list of several alternative loan lenders that are frequently used by our students. Please keep in mind that you are not required to use one of the lenders displayed at the end of the counseling session. These lenders are presented for informational purposes only.

**The lenders which appear on the list presented at the end of this counseling session were chosen based on the lender's ability to receive electronic loan certifications, send Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), and fee structure. Most loans presented at the end of this counseling session have zero fees for all borrowers. A few of the lenders included in the list may charge fees for borrowers with poorer credit and/or require that some payments be made while in school. Please read all fee and interest rate information carefully before AND after approval.

If the student is a resident of NJ they may be interested in taking an alternative loan through NJ Class. More information can be found at:

  • NJ Class(for NJ residents only and Requires a FAFSA to be filed.)