Planning form for “My Day”
Read everything, and then fill in all the places indicated by
[ brackets ].
Assignment for Day [___]
your name ]
names of others on your day ]
day’s title ]
General purpose of "your day":
Specifics for how you will fulfill those goals:
Get your classmates engaged in probing the ethics of the technologies in your area of
expertise. You may select any of various pedagogical devices that are effective for doing so: debate, simulation, video clip, etc. You may not just "hold a
- Coordinate your activities with others on the same day so that the full set of activities forms a coherent whole. You and your colleagues may structure the hour in
any way you think most effective: common overview, exercises, or readings (or not), etc.
- You will begin by specifying in this planning form what you hope to accomplish, and how, in your segment of your assigned day.
- You and others on "your day" will discuss how to coordinate your day's activities. Groups of two will have up to 45 minutes in total; groups
three should plan for a maximum of 60 minutes.
- Your group will meet with Dr. Gottfredson to review plans at least
10-14 days before your presentation day, then again 4-7 days before your
- Readings and other assignments for your classmates will be uploaded
onto the e-syllabus 4-7 days before your day.
- These procedures may differ somewhat for the first two groups.
Pedagogical questions ("how and what to teach") that you need to answer first.
Your answers will be a work in progress, but please give your best first
effort. None of these will be one-word or one-sentence answers.
[ On what substantive topic will you focus? ]
objectives: [ What do you wish your classmates to learn (content, thinking skills,
etc.)? Please be specific: “learn
about X” is too broad. ]
- Materials: [
What kinds of readings and other materials would help your
classmates meet these learning objectives?
and engagement: [ What will you actually do, and have the
class do, that day? What activities might interest or engage them more
fully in learning? Everything has to be feasible. ]
How will you schedule your presentation and/or activities over your
allotted time? (How much time will you devote to what? Be specific.) ]
- Division of labor.
you will divide up the time and tasks ]
Each person should
have primary responsibility for a different part of the day.
Now you are ready to complete the following 3 sections. They will eventually be uploaded to the syllabus.
one or more readings that will enlighten and interest your classmates.
It should help prepare them to understand and discuss your topic. If you don’t
have a specific reading in mind, what type you would like to find? Be specific. I can’t help you unless
you are. ]
[ DVD (segment, not whole movie) ]
- [ Debate ]
[ Speaker ]
- [ etc. ]
Thinking and/or writing assignment:
- [ Questions
you want your classmates to think about or focus on before coming to
class. These might be important issues in the readings you want them to
understand or be prepared to discuss. ]
- Planning & preparation:
- Pedagogical objectives are specific (not "discuss pros and
cons" or "develop own view": consult
Bloom taxonomy for suggested
that will help you pinpoint your aims)
- Readings provide solid foundation for day's activities
- Thinking/writing assignment aligned with (promotes) learning
- Timely consultation with Dr. Gottfredson and submission of material
to be uploaded
- Total presentation is
focused, aligned with (promotes) learning
- Presentation is coordinated with but does not just repeat the
- Presentation includes an engaging, creative activity (not just
fun, but also promotes
- Total presentation is well-paced and within
time limits (DO A DRY
- Content coverage:
- Provides the basics on the science or technology in question
- Probes the ethical claims involved, noting which ethical systems
they call upon or ignore (virtue-, duty-, or consequences-based ethics)
After you complete
“your day,” you will fill out a Self-Reflection
on “My Day” Please turn it in within a week after your presentation.