EDST 391 Ethics & the Human Genome
Advances, Assumptions, and
Chapters on chromosomes 18-22
(Cures, Prevention, Politics, Eugenics, Free Will) of Ridley's The
assignment--same as before:
- Task: Please keep a running log while you are reading his
book, and bring it to class for our discussions. For each day's readings,
record the following:
- Summary (with page numbers) of discussions particularly relevant
specialty area (e.g., gene therapy, forensics, embryo selection, etc.)
There will be some on some days, but perhaps none on others.
- Inherent constraints on developing feasible genomic technologies
owing to the way the genome itself works or is built.
- Any ethical claims or assumptions embedded in Ridley's discussion of
- Please be prepared to show me your log during class.