EDST 391: H. sapiens: What does it mean to be “human”?
Buss, Chapter 8. Problems of Kinship (pp. 237-265)
Thinking assignment & contribution to class
- Background: Chapter 8 describes three major types of conflict
among genetic kin:
sibling conflict, parent-offsping conflict, and conflict between the
mother and father.
- Please bring an example of one of these types to class.
- It may be from personal observation, a book, movie, interviewing
family and friends, etc.
- It must be a conflict that illustrates some particular
evolutionary process at work,
not just general conflict of any sort. Be prepared to explain the
evolutionary principle at work.
- If possible, provide something concrete to make your example come
to life--perhaps something we can see and examine, such
movie clip or page in a novel. If you email me the material
at least 2 hours before class (e.g.,
can have it ready for us to view in class.