EDST 391: H. sapiens: What does it mean to be “human”?
Reading assignment for both Monday's and Tuesday's class.
Buss, Chapter 11:
Conflict Between the Sexes (pp.
Assignment for Monday evening's class, 6-9 pm in Russell A/B Lounge.
provided; we'll eat from
- Design and be prepared to act out a common
confusion/conflict/misunderstanding between a man and woman (or couple)
because men and women
have evolved different
adaptations to solve the (different) reproductive challenges they
- Please finish your preparation before class. Costumes and props
- The scenario may include more than 2 people.
- Groups should design as many scenarios as they have members (a group
of 2 would prepare 2 different scenarios, a group of 3 prepares 3, etc.)
- We will analyze each scenario: What was the confusion or conflict between the two sexes? Which of their (different) evolutionary adaptations can explain
why it is so common?
Those of you who cannot attend
You should also design a scenario. Be
prepared to present it on Tuesday. It can be a mock phone
conversation, a monologue, a diary entry, etc. Or you can enlist another
class member to assist you on Tuesday. The class will first review or
rerun some of
Assignment for Tuesday's regular class meeting
Please prepare your thesis statement for Paper 2. Print and bring 2 copies
- Your statement should describe (a) at least two
confusions/misunderstandings/conflicts that commonly occur when
men and women
attempt to date and mate with the other (2 sentences), (b) the
likely to explain each (one sentence each) , and (c) gist of the advice
your would give couples for dealing with each (one sentence each).
- Monday's class is meant to help you do this.