UD Standard Web Header

Academic Planning FAQ

Who is my advisor?

Your advisor is listed on your main UDSIS page (labeled "Student Center"). Directly under your program information you should see a listing of your advisor(s). You can locate contact information by utilizing the UD Directory. If you have not been assigned an advisor, you should contact your department and ask to have an advisor assigned to you.

I am thinking of changing my major; what should I do?

First, you should review the requirements for the major in the UD Catalog. Read over the course titles and descriptions; be sure that you are interested. Through the Student Center in UDSIS, you can also learn about how your current courses would count in your new major or degree. Follow the instructions on using the "What-If" Report.

Review the requirements and restrictions for changing into the new major. Then, contact the department you're looking to switch into. They will be able to talk with you about the major and any possible concentrations as well as minors. They may also be able to tell you whether any of your previous credits will apply. If you are not sure what you'd like to change your major to, we encourage you to use the Change of Major Decision Making Process.

How do I register for classes?

Check the Registrar’s website for the current academic calendar to determine when registration for the desired term begins. Next, check your Student Center in UDSIS to find out when your Registration Appointment is. You may begin registration at that time. Please make sure you schedule an appointment with your academic advisor well in advance of your registration time.

I want to take more than 18 credits; can I do that?

It may be possible, but there are GPA requirements for permission to do so. The Dean's Office of the student's college may approve a course and credit load greater than the maximum (17 credits for first-year students or 18 credits for upperclassmen) if the student has a cumulative grade-point index of at least 2.5 and an index of at least 3.0 for the preceding full-time semester. Students are never allowed to register for more than 22 credits–even if some courses are completed on a Pass/Fail or auditor basis. Additional tuition must be paid when registering for more than 17 credits. UD Policy

I'd like to take an online course. How do I get permission?

Juniors and Seniors (those with more than 60 credits) with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher may take up to two online courses each semester without permission. Freshmen, sophomores, and upperclassmen with GPAs below a 2.0 must seek permission from CHS Undergraduate Student Services. In considering whether or not we will grant permission, we determine the student's immediate need for the course, prior success in online courses (e.g., winter and summer sessions), academic history, and extenuating circumstances (e.g., medical needs, etc.). If you wish to seek permission for online enrollment, please contact our office at chs-advise@udel.edu.

What is the "residency requirement"?

This refers to credits taken at UD - not your state of residence. The University of Delaware requires students to complete either 90 of the first 100 credits of their degree OR 30 credits of the final 36 credits with University of Delaware coursework in order to receive a bachelor's degree.

I would like a Senior Checkout. How do I get one?

Senior Checkouts are completed according to your graduation term listed in UDSIS. There is nothing that you need to do to initiate this process, except to verify that your intended graduation term, major(s), and minor(s) are correct in UDSIS. The Senior Checkout will be sent to your UD email address. You should be on the lookout for it at least one academic year in advance of your graduation date.

If your question is not on this list or you need clarification on something that is on this list, please contact chs-advise@udel.edu.

  • College of Health Sciences  •   Undergraduate Student Services  •   205 McDowell Hall
    Newark, DE 19716  •  USA  •   Phone: 302-831-8073  •  © 2014
    Comments   |    Contact Us    |    Legal Notices