UD Standard Web Header

Commencement and Degree Conferral

How can I avoid delays of graduation?

  • Examine your Senior Checkout carefully after you receive it via your udel.edu e-mail.
  • Be sure that the "Expected Graduation Term" on your Official Senior Checkout and on UDSIS match.
  • Be sure that the major(s), minor(s) and concentration(s) you actually will complete all appear correctly on your Checkout and your Unofficial Transcript on UDSIS. Make necessary corrections on UDSIS or call USS at (302) 831-8073 or email chs-advise@udel.edu to clarify what part of your Senior Checkout needs to be amended.
  • Check your final grades for your last semester as soon as they are available.
  • If you notice any discrepancies, act immediately to rectify them.

Please note that the following issues will block your graduation until you resolve them:

  • Total credits less than the minimum required for the degree. In this case, please make sure AP and transfer credit is posted correctly to your record.
  • Cumulative GPA of less than 2.0. If your GPA is below 2.0, you must continue to take courses and earn good grades until you succeed in raising your GPA above the minimum 2.0.
  • Temporary grades of I, S, or U. Work with your faculty to resolve these or other grade issues, and alert USS at (302) 831-8073 or chs-advise@udel.edu when a grade issue is resolved so that your record can be reviewed for degree certification.
  • Lack of written confirmation of departmental waivers or course substitutions. Make sure that any major or minor course substitutions, etc. have been documented in writing by your major or minor department or Faculty advisors for USS.

I have an Incomplete "I" or "S" grade. If I need a few weeks to finish it, can I still keep my original graduation date?

Probably, if there are just a few weeks involved your graduation date can still be the original date. Be sure to contact the CHS office to discuss further.

How can I qualify for academic honors at graduation (cum laude, etc.)?

The Registrar's Office administers conferral of academic honors at graduation and enters the notation of "Cum Laude," "Magna Cum Laude," or "Summa Cum Laude" on the diploma and transcript, according to policies established by the University. Only the top thirteen percent of each undergraduate College's graduating class will receive academic honors. Consult the Registrar's Office website for detailed information on how academic honors are determined.

Will I lose access to my UDSIS and my udel.edu email address after graduation?

Even after graduation, you will be able to log into UDSIS with your UD Student ID Number and PIN. If you would like to keep your udel.edu email address, you will need to switch over to Google Aps; instructions for doing that are here: http://www.it.udel.edu/googleapps.

  • College of Health Sciences  •   Undergraduate Student Services  •   205 McDowell Hall
    Newark, DE 19716  •  USA  •   Phone: 302-831-8073  •  © 2014
    Comments   |    Contact Us    |    Legal Notices