Dr. Stephen A. Bernhardt
Kirkpatrick Chair in Writing
Department English, College of Arts and Sciences
Joint Appointment in College of Health Sciences
132 Memorial Hall
English Department Web page
Medical communication, proposal development, teams and technologies, conduct of clinical trials, workforce literacy, problem-based learning
- 1981 PhD, English And Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor – Dissertation: Rhetoric and Text Structure in Scientific Prose
- 1974 M.S. Ed. in English and Education, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb
- 1971 B.A.., High Honors, Philosophy, University of Illinois, Urbana
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Service Award, Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication, 2003.
- Fellow, Association of Teachers of Technical Writing, 2003.
- Partnership Award, to NMSU from the New Mexico Coalition for Literacy, in recognition of Step Ahead and the University's efforts to promote public/private partnerships to enhance worker skills in New Mexico hospitals, 1993.
- Christa McAuliffe Award from the American Association of State Colleges and Universities for the SIU-C Renewal Institute for Practicing Educators, 1986.
- grammar and style
- professional rhetoric
- science writing
- proposal development
- business and technical communication