Home Page Center for Disabilities Studies - University of Delaware

Center for Disabilities Studies : University Education : Minor in Disabilities Studies

Minor in Disabilities Studies: Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

The College of Education and Human Development offers a minor in Disabilities Studies, with courses taught by faculty from across the university. The minor in Disabilities Studies provides a unique interdisciplinary opportunity for undergraduate students to learn about the policies, services, and systems that support the full participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of community life. Students from a variety of majors benefit from a greater understanding of disabilities professionally and personally.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Minor admissions criteria?

    You must be a current UD undergraduate with a declared major. You must be in good standing academically (i.e., not on probation). You must have sufficient time to complete all course requirements.


How do I add or drop the minor?

    Log into UDSIS and initiate a “Change of Academic Program Plan” webform, which will be received and reviewed by the Minor faculty coordinator and the University Registrar. You will receive an e-mail notice and a copy of the form when it has been processed.


Can I double-count courses toward my major and the minor?

    Yes, you can double-count classes unless you are in the Elementary Teacher Education (ETE). ETE majors can double-count only EDUC 230. However, remember that all students must take at least one Minor elective outside of their major requirements and major department.


Are the Minor’s required core courses (HDFS 270, EDUC 230, HEPP 465) offered every semester?

    Yes, these courses are offered every fall and spring. However, space is always tight, so make sure you register as early as possible. HDFS 270 and EDUC 230 also may be available in winter sessions.


Can I take HDFS 270 or EDUC 230 and HEPP 465 Senior Seminar at the same time?

    HDFS 270 and EDUC 230 must be taken before the Senior Seminar. If you have an extraordinary circumstance that prevents you from taking the pre-requisites in advance of the seminar, you must contact the minor faculty coordinator to discuss the situation.


I’m interested in taking a course back home and then transferring credits to UD. Can a transfer course count toward the minor?

    With approval from the minor faculty coordinator, a transfer course may count for any minor course, except the Senior Seminar. Send the course title, number and description (or a syllabus) to the coordinator and explain which minor core or elective you want the course to count toward. If approved, a note will be made on your official UD transcript that the course counts toward the minor. It is your responsibility to contact the registrars at each institution to arrange for the transfer.


I am considering taking an online course for one of the minor electives. Will I get full credit if I take an online course?

    Yes. As long as the course is the full 3-credits, it doesn’t matter if you take it online or in person. If the course is not on the pre-approved elective list, check with the minor coordinator to request approval.


I heard that independent studies can count toward minor electives. I’ve never done an independent study. What’s involved?

    If you are looking for something different – a special field experience, a chance to try research, or simply explore a topic in more depth – you should consider doing an independent study under faculty supervision. Many faculty members are willing to have you assist with their research projects or will guide your study on a topic of mutual interest. Ask your professors about their research. You can also get ideas from the “Faculty Projects” page on the Undergraduate Research website. You and the supervising faculty member will complete a “contract” (use the Independent Study/DLE” webform in UDSIS). The contract outlines what you and the faculty member have agreed to do. You also will register for the course credits just as you would for any other class. The faculty member will tell you what course number to use.


Click on these topics to learn more…


    For more information

    Laura Eisenman, Ph.D., associate professor in the School of Education

    Mary Thomas, program administrative coordinator