AAUP Executive Council Minutes
Friday, March 10, 2006
Room 347 McDowell Hall, 8:00-10:00 a.m.
PRESENT: Linda Bucher (presiding), Leon
Campbell, Gerald Turkel, David Smith, Steve Dentel, Pat Barber, and
Kevin Kerrane (secretary).
The meeting began in Executive Session with reports from the
Grievance Office, David Smith, and the Contract Maintenance Office,
The minutes of the February 10, 2006 Executive Council
meeting, begun by Kevin Kerrane and completed by Linda Bucher, were
- A report by the Treasurer, Sheldon Pollack, was distributed
as a hard copy.
- Council then discussed a letter from Robert Bohm regarding The
AAUP Voice. Gerry Turkel noted that Robert felt slighted by the
decision to dispense with his services, even though he recognized the
logic of this decision. Linda Bucher said that she would write a letter
of response to Robert, based on notes provided by Gerry.
- Gerry outlined several topics for the next issues of The
AAUP Voice: coverage of Roger Bowen’s visit; an examination
of the recent controversy of a Physics instructor who belongs to a hate
group; an analysis of the UD operating budget in relation to such costs
as health insurance; and the whole issue of health care, as reflected
in current meetings of the university’s joint task force.
- Next fall, the first issue of the newsletter will feature
David Smith’s explanation of the difference between a complaint
and a grievance. Steve Dentel suggested that the same newsletter
include case studies, without names, to illustrate how the process has
worked in a variety of situations. David proposed that such case
studies be posted on our website, so that they can run at full length.
- Drafts of three chapters of our AAUP chapter history have
been forwarded to Steve Finner.
- Linda Bucher will be filling in for David Colton at the
March 20 meeting of the university’s joint task force on health
care for retired faculty.
- In order to take advantage of matching funds, our chapter
has increased its pledge to the AAUP National Endowment: it’s now
$25,000 over five years.
- Ballots for the Steering Committee elections are due to be
mailed out, with a return date of April 3.
- The AAUP Student Award Committee has two new members:
Carolyn Manning (HESC) and Sue McGeary (Geology). There are 15
applicants for these awards.
- Joint Luncheon Program w/Provost’s Office was held on
2/22/06 and was well attended by approximately 50 faculty. Suggestion
by G. Turkel to investigate another co-sponsored program in 06-07.
Could invite a Scholar at Risk (program developed by NYU) to speak.
Executive Council supported idea.
- Steering Committee/Open Faculty Meeting was held on 2/22/06
. R. Bowen and J. Buck attended. Minutes attached. Suggestion to hold a
spring lunch time Steering Committee/Department Rep meeting near end of
semester. L. Bucher will investigate room.
AAUP State Conference Leaders’ Meeting will be held on 4/14/06
10-11 AM (in Rm. 347, MCD). All are encouraged to attend.
News from National AAUP: Council members are encouraged to
attend the upcoming conferences:
- Annual AAUP Meeting: June 8-11, Washington , DC .
- AAUP Summer Institute: July 27-30, Portland , Oregon .
Next Meetings: 4/14, 5/12
Kevin Kerrane, Secretary