|10:20 a.m., Jan. 21, 2003--Provost Dan Rich, Dean of the College of Arts and Science Mark Huddleston, President David P. Roselle and benefactor Paul Jones (left to right) check out the progress of interior reconstruction at Mechanical Hall.
Originally built in 1898 to serve the engineering department with later additions, Mechanical Hall more recently housed the Army ROTC. The building is undergoing extensive renovation to serve as an art gallery to house the Paul R. Jones Collection, one of the oldest, largest and most complete holdings of African-American art in the world. The facility will include an art gallery to display the collection, research and study space, collection storage area and office space.
Demolition of the basement and first floor are under way, and the installation of site services and utilities, such as chilled water and fire protection, have begun. The appearance of the buildings exterior will not change, and the project should be completed by next fall.
Whiting-Turner Construction Co. is carrying out the renovation.
Article by Sue Moncure
Photo by Eric Crossan