University of Delware 
Search:  Payroll & Systems Admin all UD   

Criminal Background Checks


The University is committed to protecting the safety and security of all members, property and assets of the UD community. To meet these objectives, we began criminal background checks for all NEW employees who hold positions posted on January 1, 2011 or later.

Who is included in the criminal background check process?

Anyone receiving a paycheck:
  • Faculty
  • Exempt
  • Non-Exempt
  • Miscellaneous Wage/Supplemental
  • Student Workers (Grad and Undergrad)
  • If you are terminated and rehired or retired and rehired on or after January 1, 2011, you will be subject to a background check
  • Only for student workers, not admitted students

The Process

Initiating the process:
  • Misc wage, U/G students, and Supplemental Contracts: The hiring official completes the "Hiring Notification" form found on HR forms.
  • Benefited (exempt and non exempt): The process starts when Offer Status web form is routed to CBC.
  • Grad on Contract: The process starts when a copy of the GSCRF is received in records management.
Once the information is received, the applicant and the hiring official will receive an email from Records Management advising of the upcoming contact from AISS.

The information is then submitted to AISS, who contacts the selected applicant. The applicant will provide certain information to AISS to start the background process.

Non US Citizens will then receive an email from AISS which will include several forms to download and complete. Those forms must then be submitted back to AISS to fulfill the background check requirement.

NOTE: Response time starts when the applicant contacts AISS and enters data, not when the request for a CBC is received at the Records Management office.

To view the process graphically, select an employee type

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I plan on hiring a juvenile (under the age of 18). Where do I find the Juvenile Consent Form, and what is done with the completed form?

      The Juvenile Consent Form can be found in the middle of the Hiring Notification Form. When you scroll over the section of the Hiring Notification Form dealing with Juveniles, a link can be located that produces the form. The form can be printed so that both the juvenile and their parent/guardian can sign the form. Once it is completed, it can be dropped off at the Records Management Office at 413 Academy Street, or faxed to 302-831-3255.

  • I am going to pay someone through the Procurement Office. Do they need a CBC?
      No. Only selected applicants for employment that are going to be paid by the Payroll office are required to submit to a Criminal Background Check.

  • The applicant that we selected is not a citizen of the United States. Do I have to wait until the Criminal Background Check is completed to start their employment?

      No. If the applicant is not a United States citizen, then they can start working as soon as the information is submitted to the Records Management office requesting the Criminal Background Check. The applicant is still required to complete the information submission to AISS, the vendor that conducts the background checks, in order to maintain employment at the University of Delaware.

  • My department will have several Grad Students on Contract start in the fall. Do I need to submit a Hiring Notification Form for these individuals?

      No. The background check for a Grad on Contract starts in the Records Management office once the approved GSCRF and the SAFF forms are received. The only reason that a Hiring Notification Form would be needed is if the department wanted to hire the Grad student as Grad labor prior to the Contract start date. In that case a hiring notification form would need to be submitted.