Resources for Current Students

Alternative classroom and office arrangements

The ODSS works with the Registrar to accommodate students and student paraprofessionals with mobility or vision related disabilities to have access to accessible classrooms and offices. Accessibility in classrooms and offices includes: room entrance accessibility; accessible equipment and furniture; speaker systems; close to board seating; etc.

Assistive Technology

Assistive technology is available to students with disabilities. These services include and are not limited to FM radio systems for hearing impaired students, computer software such as Kurzweil 3000 and Texthelp to obtain books and materials in alternate format, CCTVs and other technology as needed on a case by case basis. The University of Delaware maintains an institutional membership to Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic. Books are available in Daisy format with RFB&D players for students who are eligible for books on CD. Requests for assistive technology are considered on a case by case basis.

Assistive Technology Center

The Assistive Technology Center is located on the first floor of Morris Library and accessible to any student at the University of Delaware for technology assisted working or studying. The center offers: five computer workstations equipped with assistive technology programs such as Kurzweil 3000, reading stations, screen magnification software; and JAWS; scanners and scanning software; large display computer monitors; brailing machines; Smartview 3000 for print magnification; tape, large print, and Braille dictionaries. A more detailed list of technology offered at the center can be found at>

Associates in Arts Degree Program

The University of Delaware, in cooperation with Delaware Technical & Community College (DTCC), offers qualified applicants the opportunity to pursue a University of Delaware Associate in Arts (AA) degree by taking UD courses at the UD Academic Centers on the campuses of Delaware Technical & Community College in Wilmington, Dover, and Georgetown.

The University provides advisement and academic support services for Associate Degree Program students at all sites at which instruction is provided. The Associate Degree Program is a nonresidential program; campus housing is not provided.

Associates in Arts students who have disabilities can receive reasonable accommodations by following the process outlined on this website. The Disability Support Services Office reviews all documentation to establish eligibility as a student with a disability. The Disability Support Services staff works very closely with the Associates in Arts faculty coordinators and advisors to identify reasonable accommodations.

More Information on the Associates in Arts Degree Program

Campus Life

Students with disabilities are encouraged and expected to participate to the full extent in all offerings at the University. This sometimes includes disciplinary proceedings. All students, including those with disabilities, must adhere to University regulations. If you feel that your disability might be the cause of a problem in the classroom or residence hall, please notify the Director of the ODSS immediately to discuss options. The ODSS can also assist students by negotiating with fraternities, sororities, and other campus organizations to enable students with disabilities to participate in student life while still receiving their proper accommodations.

Consideration for Reasonable Accommodations

For the purposes of the ADA and the Federal Rehabilitation Acts, you must have a physical or mental impairment that "substantially" limits one or more major life activities to be considered an individual with a disability. Examples of major life activities are hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, performing manual tasks, walking, caring for one's self and learning. Typically a substantial limitation is an impairment that prevents an individual from performing a major life activity or significantly restricts the condition, manner, or duration under which the average person in the general population can perform the same major life activity. Not everyone with a disability needs accommodations. Please review the documentation guidelines under forms and documents, and if you would like more information about the ADA, please visit this website,

Delaware Assistive Technology Initiative

The ODSS works closely with the Delaware Assistive Technology Initiative in order to identify the most effective technologies for students. For more information on the Initiative, please see the DATI website at

The University of Delaware's Director of the Disability Support Services Office has the authority to determine if a diagnosis or condition rises to the level of a disability under the ADA. Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis arrived at in an interactive process. Your preferences are often provided but in some cases may not be reasonable or practical. To review processes for specific accommodations, please see the forms and processes section. If an accommodation request is denied, you are welcome to file an ADA grievance. Please see the procedures outlined in the student handbook under


If you have a dining need, you are encouraged to visit the dining website and work with the nutritionist who can often meet your needs. Exceptions to the dining policies and requirements due to a disability will be considered on a case by case basis and will require documentation.

Documentation Guidelines

Please review the guidelines posted on the website.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Disability specific scholarships are only available to students from Delaware who are deaf or hard of hearing or have a communication disability on a limited basis. Other scholarships can be explored by visiting


There is a process to request reasonable accommodations in the residence halls. If you have a need for a certain type of housing, please see the Housing Assignment Services website,, and follow the link to the information and form available there or access the forms and processes page on this website. Please note that exceptions to housing policies and procedures are provided for ADA disabilities only. Special requests in housing for medical conditions that do not meet the criteria for a disability under the ADA are considered as space is available. This includes requests for air conditioning.

Interpreter Services

The ADA office offers interpreting services for accommodated students. These services include: sign language interpreters in the classroom; CART services, a real-time closed captioning service; and captioned class materials.

Materials in alternative formats/Books on CD

Accommodated students have the option of requesting school materials in alternative formats. This includes books in alternative formats such as: e-text books, Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic (RFB&D) books on CD, materials in mp3 audio format, materials in edited word document format for JAWS screen reader programs, and materials in scanned computer format for use with Kurzweil 3000 and Texthelp reading software. Alternative materials also include captioned class video or audio programs, enlarged materials such as books and tests, and color copied materials to aid in reading.

Note-taker Services

The ODSS offers documented students the option of requesting volunteer note-takers for their courses. Students' professors are notified and a volunteer is requested from the class, while respecting the privacy of the DSS student. This volunteer works with the accommodated student to give them copies of daily class notes. The ODSS will also work with professors to determine other alternatives if a student volunteer can not be found.

Notification to Faculty and Staff about Approved Accommodations

With your written consent, the University of Delaware will notify all parties who need to know about approved accommodations in order to participate in the implementation of them. Depending upon the nature of the need, emails are sent to professors with explanations of your responsibilities in the process. The ODSS also works with other offices on campus to provide information in order to implement or discuss the approved accommodation/s.

Parking Services

The University does not provide the disability placards or stickers, but there is accessible parking in most lots. Students who commute to campus or have cars on campus must follow the procedures outlined as follows; Everyone who parks on campus must have an appropriate University permit along with a state-issued handicapped permit. If the handicapped spaces are full you can park in service vehicle spots with the appropriate permits. In addition, patrons with handicapped plates or stickers can park in any meter in Newark without paying the fees. This does not apply to certain paid lots. Please call the Newark parking authority for more information.

Registering with the Office of Disability Support Services

Please contact the ODSS by calling or e-mailing, as soon as you are aware that you might need reasonable accommodations. You are expected to be your own advocate and self-identify. Please refer to the process outlined under Forms and Processes on this website. The DSS professional staff is available to meet with students who may require accommodations. Documentation will be necessary to establish eligibility as an individual with a disability and to determine the impact of the disability and the most reasonable accommodations.

Scheduling and Registration

The Director of the ODSS works with the scheduling office on behalf of students who need accessible classroom and/or ample travel time between classes. If you have this need, please contact the ODSS right away so that an accommodation can be arranged. The ODSS does not have the authority to enroll students with disabilities in classes that are full. If your class or event is scheduled in an inaccessible location, the class and/or event will be moved upon notice.

Temporary Medical Conditions

Students with broken legs, arms and/or other medical conditions are assisted in a limited manner. With authorization from the ODSS or the Student Health Center, you can request rides from Public Safety on a limited basis on campus. If you need the assistance of a note-taker or you need to take exams in the ODSS because of limitations in writing, please contact us. Other assistance may be available upon request. If your condition becomes permanent, you may want to register with the ODSS officially.

Test Accommodations

The ODSS offers documented students the option of requesting alternative testing arrangements as a reasonable accommodation. These arrangements include reduced distraction environments, extended time on tests, tests in alternate locations, scribes, test readers, tests on computer, test enlargement, varied lighting, allowance of food or drink during testing, and other alternatives as discussed on a case-by-case basis with the ODSS. Professors have the option to provide accommodations, however the ODSS can ensure that the student's testing accommodations are respected and will negotiate with faculty around these and other issues.


In an effort to provide more efficient, structured transportation service to those students requiring long- or short-term assistance moving around campus, Transportation and Public Safety have partnered to provide campus or area transportation to those approved by the Office of Disability Support Services or Student Health Services.

This service will be provided during the same hours of operation and cover the same geographic area as the UD Shuttle, which varies by the day of the week. (See UD Transportation for shuttle service hours and routes.) All requests must be made at least 24 hours in advance of need. Students approved for transport should call Transportation Services at 302-831-1187 (5 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday – Friday) or Public Safety at 302-831-2222 (all other times) to arrange for service.

Students approved for transportation assistance through either the Office of Disability Support Services or Student Health Services will receive door-to-door service within the service area on a one-time or recurring basis. If wheelchair assistance is needed, a vehicle with the proper lift will be used.

These changes will be implemented beginning with service on Oct. 1, 2012.

Please note that in an emergency situation, UD Police should be contacted by dialing 911 and for urgent, non-emergency situations (i.e., sick and need transport to Student Health office) Public Safety should be called at 302-831-2222.


The ODSS can assist students by identifying individualized and group tutoring opportunities in conjunction with the Academic Enrichment Program. The Academic Enrichment Center provides free group tutoring services and individualized fee-based tutoring sessions. Students are responsible for fees. Assistance with study skills is also available through the Academic Enrichment Program. More information on tutoring can be found at