... documenting the history of the University of Delaware
Imaging Services and Policies
- The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a patron makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use" that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The University of Delaware reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
- Photocopies cost 10¢ each; University Library copy cards are not accepted and payment, by cash or check only, is expected at the time that the work is performed.
- The contents of files, boxes, collections, books, etc. will not be photocopied in their entirety for any patron. Only select resources contained within those items may be reproduced.
- Only University Archives and Records Management staff may photocopy resources from its collections; this is done to ensure proper handling and protection of the materials.
- Digital imaging services are available for patrons. Please inquire to determine the availability and cost of these services if desired.
- Personal digital cameras and scanners may be used by patrons to make copies of archival material for research use only. Use of this equipment must be approved by University Archives and Records Management.
- If you wish to obtain reproductions of materials for future publication, please inquire about obtaining permission for publication. Permission to obtain a photocopy or other reproduction of materials contained within the collections administered through the Archives Program does not constitute permission to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publish, or make other protected uses of that copy as it is protected under the copyright laws of the United States. Permission to engage in such activity is not authorized unless expressly granted to the patron by University Archives and Records Management.
- The University of Delaware reserves the right to refuse reproduction work of all types to any and all patrons for any reason it deems appropriate.