University of Delaware Archives and Records Management
Dwindling enrollment and fiscal difficulties caused the Board of Trustees to close Delaware College in 1859. However, the Morrill Act of 1862 provided federal funding for land-grant institutions that would teach courses in agriculture and the mechanical (engineering) arts. Delaware College was able to reopen as a land-grant college in 1870. A new focus on agriculture led to the purchase of an experimental farm and the foundation of the Delaware Agriculture Experiment Station in 1888.
This catalog from the newly revitalized Delaware College was later owned by Elisha Conover, Professor of Ancient Languages from 1895-1937. His signature appears on the upper right hand corner.See the full 1871 Circular.